1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Rear Heat Shield

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Dr Bigwood, Jan 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr Bigwood

Dr Bigwood New Member

Loc:
    Dowling, MI
    I have a question.....
    I am in the process of constructing a hearth pad for our Jotul Castine. The gentleman who is doing the installation requested
    that I make the pad big enough to account for 12" of clearance from the wall to the rear of the stove. He made this request so that he would have room to accomadate the 90' elbow that will connect to a thimble/sleeve in the wall. Seems like a good idea....
    So to make the hearth the correct size I need to know the depth dimension of the stove and I need to account for 16" in the front of the stove too. The Manual I downloaded from Jotul say's that this dimension is 23 1/4. Does anyone know if this dimension includes the "rear heat shield"? The manual really isn't claer about this. Unless I am missing it?? This is sort of important
    because our house is small and I would like to make the hearth as small as I possibley can, without sacrificing safety and code of course....!
    Does anyone know if the rear heat shield adds to the depth dimension?????

Thanks! Thanks! Thankyou!

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. MountainStoveGuy

MountainStoveGuy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Boulder County
    That dimension shoundt include the heatshield, but the heatshield doent factor any way, with the heat shield you have x amount of clearance to the wall, pipe, corners, etc etc, you never pull the dimension from the heatshield.
    Ryan
  3. Dr Bigwood

Dr Bigwood New Member

Loc:
    Dowling, MI
    Thanks Ryan
    So when you say "X amount of clearance" do you mean that with the heat shield I can set the stove 12 inches from the wall, then just attach the heat shield and still maintain clearance? Which is 7 inches with a heat shield.

Doc
  4. Dr Bigwood

Dr Bigwood New Member

Loc:
    Dowling, MI
    Sorry one more question.....

Does the heat shield add 2 or 3 inches to the depth of the stove???

Thanks!!!!!!
  5. MountainStoveGuy

MountainStoveGuy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Boulder County
    it adds i littke more then a inch if i remember correctly, and yes, you pull the tape from the same place as you would without a heatshield. For example, my hearatige has a 7 inch clearance from the rear of the top frame, with a heatshield installed.
    Ryan
  6. Dr Bigwood

Dr Bigwood New Member

Loc:
    Dowling, MI
    Thanks Again!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.