Rear or Top vent....?? Also, a picture of my back deck here in central MD

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

southbalto

Feeling the Heat
Nov 20, 2008
Mid-Atlantic
Photo_00001.jpg

Well, I'm sitting here in the living room watching the snow, feeding the stove, listening to the instaweather alert evey 5 min. We're now looking at 72.3" at Baltimore Washington International for the year.......we usually get 15-18".

So, I'm currently venting my castine to the rear out the wall and up 24'. I haven't yet finished off the wall protection with stone so I can still easily make adjustments to the set up. I was wondering if there is any advantages to topventing the stove? Would the additional single wall pipe make a substantial impact in heating the room?

I suppose another consideration would be if I were to change stoves down the road. If the thimble is 10-15" above the stove it would give me some flexibility in the future.

What do you all think?

Here is a photoshopped version of what the rear vent would look like:

Stone.jpg

Nice! Beautiful, love the hearth too!
Down here in williamsburg we have been dealing with a lot more snow than usual too, but not that much.

We are running out of wood and what I have left is kinda wet. Uck, uck, uck.

Nice setting for the stove. The Castine has a shallow box and doesn't like to be starved on draft, so I would stick to double-wall pipe if you change it. The idea of setting up for the future is a good one though. It's rare that two stoves will have the same rear exit height.

While I like the look of a rear exit with your set up . . . it tends to look neater to me, I think your reasoning to go up is sound . . . you may gain a bit more heat coming off the pipes and it would be easier if you want to get a different stove in the future.

I've had a similar question on my mind. I have a rear exit stove currently in a basement corner. The chimney flue is 53" off the floor so the connectors do a 90 up and a 90 into the flue. I don't have to be concearned about clearances because the corner is a foundation wall and a block wall. I'm planning on moving this stove upstairs to a newly finished breezeway that'll become a dinning room. It sure would be nice to vent it directly out through the wall then up into the adjascent garage. But this brings me to the same problem you have. If I were to get a top exit stove the openning would be useless. So, in conclusion, in my case, I think I'll go with a more universal through the wall pipe that is located higher up on the wall. Such as 53" like the one in my basement. This will assure that any future stove can be installed there. To answer the single wall pipe question, I would think that adding more of it inside the house would increase the amount of heat created in it (how much, I don't know.) I hope this helps. Good luck!

By the way I like the photoshop pic, it'll come out nice if you do it like that!! Keep us posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.