Rear Vent 90 Degree Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

toysrwill

Jan 16, 2013
Hello,

I am looking at installing a propane direct vent fireplace on an interior wall. If I go with a rear vent fireplace, upon exiting the fireplace can i use a 90 degree elbow and turn immediately to the right and run a horizontal pipe out? I'm assuming I need to use some rise, its about 7 feet maximum to get out of the room and out the house to the termination area.

Also is there any benefits over rear vent vs top vent on propane fireplaces?

Thanks

Will

Whether you can use a long horizontal run will depend on the specific fireplace; the manufacturer's installation instructions will give information on the venting requirements. I know on mine (which is a top vent) there is a minimum vertical rise before any elbows. OTOH, some fireplaces are made to be installed on interior walls with a long horizontal run, but they may require power (fan assisted) venting, which means it won't run without electricity if that's important to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.