1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Rear Vent 90 Degree Question

Post in 'It's a Gas!' started by toysrwill, Jan 16, 2013.

1. toysrwill

toysrwill New Member

Hello,

I am looking at installing a propane direct vent fireplace on an interior wall. If I go with a rear vent fireplace, upon exiting the fireplace can i use a 90 degree elbow and turn immediately to the right and run a horizontal pipe out? I'm assuming I need to use some rise, its about 7 feet maximum to get out of the room and out the house to the termination area.

Also is there any benefits over rear vent vs top vent on propane fireplaces?

Thanks

Will

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. FanMan

FanMan Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    CT stix & upstate NY
    Whether you can use a long horizontal run will depend on the specific fireplace; the manufacturer's installation instructions will give information on the venting requirements. I know on mine (which is a top vent) there is a minimum vertical rise before any elbows. OTOH, some fireplaces are made to be installed on interior walls with a long horizontal run, but they may require power (fan assisted) venting, which means it won't run without electricity if that's important to you.