Rear-Venting Options

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jibba

Oct 1, 2014
NH
Hello - I have a pretty low clearance fireplace and am looking to swap out a very old coal stove for a (preferably cast iron) wood stove. The clearance dictates that I go with a rear-venting unit. Curious to know of any successes folks have had with a rear-venting, low-maintenance stove (e.g. I was leaning towards a VC Encore, but have since been gun-shy based on some of the thoughts of folks here). For what it's worth, it'll be going in a pretty central living room that is heating an approximately 1,850 sq ft "unfinished" cape (e.g. the upstairs is framed in but not yet built out for when I have a couple more little ones). Around 200 sq. ft. of that 1,850 is a 3-season room, and the 1,850 does not include the unfinished upstairs (though would love to someday have the stove help heat that floor up, too). Any insight is greatly appreciated! Cheers.

Welcome to the forum.

A rear-vented stove if front of a fireplace is a relatively common install. Several stove manufacturers have models that can be either top- or rear-vented. The critical points are the lintel height of the fireplace and the depth of the hearth. How tall is your fireplace opening measured from the hearth/floor and how deep is your hearth?

Status
Not open for further replies.