Rebuilding advice for Jotul F3CB

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Earthandsol

Oct 30, 2015
Sewanee,TN
Greetings kin of the hearth,
I have a 20 year old Jotul F3CB that I bought new in 95 and used to heat a home in S. Georgia for 3 mild winters and 1 winter( cold to me several weeks with no days above freezing) in S. Tenn.So rather low hours and no distortion of burn plates. It then sat in a workshop for a decade and then a woodland fire took out the shop and it seems that when the firefighters extinguished the blaze the thermal shock ( water hitting ) on the stove cracked the bottom plate. The front glass was unharmed.
After a few more years sitting, I broke the stove partially down and had a talented metallurgist( 40 year semi-retired union pipefitter from Manhattan) repair the plate. The repair is not perfect but it looks awfully close.
I am going to replace all the gasket and re-cement where necessary but was wondering whether I should go ahead and break apart the front plate,side plates and back plate. Also I am open and welcoming to any suggestions on rust removal and paint/blacking options.
Thank you and may your fires burn long and hot
P.s.
I tried to upload a picture but my moto x phone takes too big of a pic and I lack the skill set and patience to remedy

Status
Not open for further replies.