Rebuilding front of masonry fireplace after removing hearth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jmon22

Jan 2, 2017
Ohio
Hey guys,

Am in the process of renovating my masonry fireplace to get it ready for a gas insert. I removed the hearth so that I can tile level with the floor, but had to take off the front portion of the firebox because the bricks were laid so that they overlapped the hearth. Need to build this back up to give a level surface to put the insert on. Appearance is not an issue as this will all be tiled over. Have a 5" width area that I need to add back. See photo below. I was thinking a small wood frame covered with Hardie or other non-combustible, but not sure if there is a better solution.

20170118_121452_resized.jpg

Thanks!

Good to know. Other threads with a similar application have mentioned the same concept, but with metal studs. My worry is that these wouldn't be strong enough to hold up the front of an insert.

Good to know. Other similar applications have mentioned something similar to my method, but with metal studs. My worry is that these wouldn't be strong enough to hold up the front of an insert.
Iwould do it all out of masonry if I were you

Reactions: heavy hammer
Bholler is right, that all needs to be masonry.

Just use the bricks you took out and lay them side to side. Looks like a 4" brick so you'll have a 1" gap to fill between the brick and existing fireplace. Lay your brick and mortar and fill the gap as you go up.