Rebuilding old Jotul 118, worth it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbyinredwood

Dec 9, 2013
Woodside, ca
Found an old Jotul 118 in my yard recently and was wondering if it's worth the time and money to rebuild. There's certainly a heavy amount of rust on everything, the bottom plate(?) is broken, one of the sides is cracked right along the bottom of pine tree and it might be missing a few other small parts. I'm certainly handy and could clean things up with wire wheel and maybe some chemicals (suggestions?) but really don't know if it's worth the time and money.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
Bobby

Sounds like it's seen better days. Pull the lids, fill it with dirt and use it as a novel flower planter.

Found it in your yard??????:cool:

No joke! I live in the costal range of California, right across from Henrick Ibsen Park, a private Norwegian community. Not sure if this stove has anything to do with that but it was outside near an old structure. I was super excited when I came across it. Little bummed I can't use it though!

No joke! I live in the costal range of California, right across from Henrick Ibsen Park, a private Norwegian community. Not sure if this stove has anything to do with that but it was outside near an old structure. I was super excited when I came across it. Little bummed I can't use it though!

You can always use it for an outdoor fire burner, you know, like a very well built chiminea.

Status
Not open for further replies.