Received my bulk pellets yesterday

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AndrewChurchill

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Mar 31, 2008
Vermont
I had a little over 9 tons of bulk pellets delivered yesterday and everything worked great. I even got a little lucky as I had ordered the commercial grade pellets but they filled the bins with their consumer grade pellets and they didn't want to empty the bin and refill it so they gave them to me at the same price!

The only thing I need to do before the next delivery is build a couple of brackets at the top of the bin to hold the hose up in the sir so the hose doesn't get plugged.

Sorry, I didn't take pictures of the delivery. I was too busy helping the driver get the hoses set up.

Yup, that's my bin. I only have to make one modification. I need put up two brackets attached to the ceiling to keep the hose suspended in the air. We put the hose just inside the casement window and that worked well for about 5 tons then the hose got plugged because the pellets blocked the hose.

So I had to open one of the doors and pull the hose further into the bin and screw a strap to the ceiling to keep the hose in the air.

Next time I'll pull the hose through both brackets and when the bin is about 1/2 full I'll pull the hose back to the first bracket.

There is no bulging of the walls so my design works great for at least 10 tons and I suspect even fully loaded I shouldn't have any issues.

Andy

sometimes static electricity causes clogs when moving pellets or corn with a vacuum system.
grounding the hose usually eliminates that problem.
if I'm understanding your problem correctly.

The problem is if you don't suspend the hose above the bin they will eventually build a pile in front of the hose and plug it up. By suspending the hose at the top of the bin they can't stack themselves high enough to block the hose.

What was the cost per ton delivered and the name of the pellet manufacturer if you know?

Wil,

It was $249 delivered (Up $50 from the Spring unfortunately) and they are Energex pellets.

Andrew Churchill said:
Wil,

It was $249 delivered (Up $50 from the Spring unfortunately) and they are Energex pellets.
Thanks Andrew. Three years ago now, when I was thinking about a Tarm boiler, I asked the dealer about bulk pellets and he mentioned to me that bulk pellets were around $10.00 per ton less expensive than bagged pellets at that time. It seems that the difference in costs of bulk pellets vs bagged pellets should be more but I guess if you factor in the delivery to your home it makes it appear much less costly.

When I first looked into bulk pellets they were $170 in '07, $199 '08 - Spring '09, and now they're $249. I'm a bit disappointed they went up so much so quickly. Hopefully, they'll go down this winter and I can pick up another 10 tons in the Spring before they close the road to 18 wheelers.

They still saved me $25 p/ton compared to buying locally and the cheapest I've seen is $235 at Home Depot.

But HD is 50 miles from my house and I'd have to make 20 trips with my car and trailer or pay my father about $150 to have him pick them up with his big rig and then have to unload them by hand once he got to my house.

I could not image hauling ten tons into my basement. Just the bulk delivery saved your back tons!

That has to be worth something?

Yup, last year I hauled 8 tons of bagged pellets into the basement and it was quite the work out. Fortunately, I have a walk out basement so I didn't have to contend with stairs.

Right now a 5 gallon bucket, but after the holidays I'm going to buy a Corn Vac and a 6.5 hp shop vac and move them that way.

Who did you order your pellets from? I am in Vermont but have been unable to find a bulk supplier who delivers in my area. I also buy 10 tons per season and moving those bags is a real chore. Not to mention lack of storage space! I've got a good sized coal bin in the basement ready to go. Would love to buy bulk and save all that time and trouble getting my pellet supply ready each season.

I got them from Clark et Fils out of Sherbrooke, Quebec. 819-562-9444

Your cost may be more if you don't order a full truck load of pellets. I am fortunate in that the local High School and a couple of businesses heat with pellets. They deliver a full load to the HS every two weeks and on the odd weeks they deliver a 1/2 load to the HS and they fill up the the rest of the truck with pellets for the smaller businesses or residences.

Good luck.

Here are a couple of pics.

Attachments

• IMG_3441sml.jpg
    IMG_3441sml.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 521
  • IMG_3438sml.jpg
    IMG_3438sml.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 483
I'm looking forward to using them!

Macman,

What level Pellet Pig am I now? ;)