1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Receiver hitch mounted dock hoist as a log lift?

Post in 'The Gear' started by BrianK, Feb 5, 2013.

1. BrianK

BrianK Guest

Hi folks,
    My old splitter had a receiver hitch mount on top of the wedge when I bought it last year. I'm thinking of picking up a 500lb rated receiver hitch mounted dock hoist and using it to lift large logs onto the splitter. I could also mount the receiver on the axle on the opposite side from the engine.

Would that hoist be sufficient for large rounds?

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. nate379

nate379 Guest

That's a beefy splitter. Yanmar diesel motor?
  3. BrianK

BrianK Guest

Yes, 9hp Yanmar. Picked up the splitter last year for $575. It was built by an old timer. Just replaced the 11gpm pump with a 16gpm this week.
    ScotO and MasterMech like this.
  4. ScotO

ScotO Guest

Brian, if I were you, I'd consider building a log lifter for the side of your splitter. I'd be connected to your splitter, no need to bring an extra contraption to the jobsite with you. To do the lifting, you could get a small hyd. cylinder and gate valve and tie it in with your hydraulic system. You'd have a couple hundred bucks in the setup, and the fabrication (not sure if you have the tools or not, I'm sure you know someone that does have the tools you need).
    BrianK likes this.
  5. BrianK

BrianK Guest

Scotty, I am going to replace the old valve on the splitter with a detent valve so I was also looking at double valves to also run a log lifter. However between the valve and cylinder and fabrication (I would have to get it made) I would spend 3 or 4 times as much as this hoist costs. I wish money wasnt an option but alas it certainly is.
  6. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    The lift could work, but I wouldn't have it mounted on the wedge. Maybe more towards the axle, but the arm length on the lift would ultimately dictate position.

I, personally, am a log lifter kinda guy.
    005sm.jpg
    ScotO likes this.
  7. I have a horizontal/vertical splitter. I used to save the big rounds until I had enough to justify setting the splitter vertical.

Now that I have a bigger saw I just cut them in half lengthwise as I come across the bigger rounds. Don't think it takes much longer and is certainly easier on the back. Plus watching your boot get buried in chips in about 10 seconds kind of makes one smile.
    BrianK and ScotO like this.
  8. Couderay80

Couderay80 Member

Loc:
    South of the windy city
    If you go ahead with the lift, as I see no reason as to why it would not work, let us know how it worked out. Looks as if it could stay on the wedge in transport mode also. I'm looking at one of them lifts for my fab table.
  9. Machria

Machria Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Brookhaven, Long Island
    Hope your going to burn that PWC! ;)
  10. BrianK

BrianK Guest

I don't think the cat in my Fireview is rated to burn PWCs. I'll call Woodstock tomorrow morning to double check ;-)
    MasterMech likes this.
  11. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Toss it in the ol' OWB. I hear they burn anything. :rolleyes:
    BrianK likes this.
  12. greg13

greg13 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    CNY
    I would add a drop down leg on the bottom of the lift and take some strain off of the hitch.