1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Reciprocating Saw (Sawsall) advice needed

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by Flatbedford, Jan 11, 2013.

1. PoolGuyinCT

PoolGuyinCT Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Plymouth CT
    My personal experience, Milwaukee saws packaged in metal carry case are tanks,

Those packaged in plastic carry cases are junk..

No scientific documentation

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Bret Chase

Bret Chase Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Maine
    In my experience (been in construction since '89) the "regular" Milwaukee sawzalls are not worth what they charge... The stroke is too short at 3/4", and I've had 3 of them where the wobble plate broke... in half. The Super sawzall, is better with an 1 1/8" stroke, but it's expensive and heavy... The Dewalt I have now had for 4 years.... 1 1/8" stroke, lighter, and about half the price of the milwaukee... Ever since I bought the DeWalt.... the miwaukees stay in their boxes, in the tool crib... unused.
  3. Badfish740

Badfish740 Minister of Fire

Another thing Sawzalls can't be beat for is processing scrap metal. Nothing cuts up an old gas grill, solder joints off of copper pipe, or any other junk faster than a sawzall ;)
  4. jharkin

jharkin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Holliston, MA USA
    My first one was a cheap porter-cable. I figured as a homeowner I didn't need anything special. It works fine for me but is definitely no Milwaukee.

Now I've got a dewalt lithium cordless. That's the only one gets used anymore.

My Dad, when he worked the trades for a living had (still has) either a Milwaukee or makita, can't remember.
  5. Bret Chase

Bret Chase Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Maine
    it was probably a milwaukee.... for the longest time they *were* the cat's arse... but they've not been able to keep up... and the milwaukee's with the plastic gear case are just... garbage..