recognize this stove? unknown make

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ylekyote

Sep 26, 2013
Hi. Just picked up this 400 lb stove for $100. Has firebrick on bottom, but not on sides. About 20" wide and 34" long on top. Thank you! 00h0h_a4ioLIZTcnu_600x450.jpg 00h0h_a4ioLIZTcnu_600x450.jpg IMG_3536.jpg

Oh, there is a pipe on bottom and a metal line that comes from rear that looks like it has a gas connection at end. The seller didnt use the stove at all, but said it had wood in it from previous owner of the house he bought. Do you think it has gas assist?

I wouldn't dream of using that stove with the gas line in it, WAY too dangerous even if only used to start up the fire.

If this is going to be used in your house you will want to check for a UL plate on the back, if it has no ID plates on it you should contact your insurance company to see if they will cover you.

Short of that it looks like a 30 year old pre-epa stove, good for a garage stove.

That gas line gives me the creeps, but other than that, it looks like a big old bad-ass pre EPA stove. I wish I had it.

Looks like it is waiting to be modded with some firebrick and a baffle. Add a secondary tube and it might be decent.

I was going to put it outside and burn several different sized loads with it, for tests. It's flue is in the real, so for my house I'd need to right angle elbow upwards and install pipe thru metal roof (no attic). Was gonna use this as backup/auxillary stove for extra cold times, and if primary was down for any reason.

It looks like it had gas to it at some time in past, maybe as it's sole heat fuel, but i only want to burn wood in it.

It has something that looks like firebrick in bottom, but no signs of it on sides or top. Unless i weld in brick brackets, can i line the sides or top with brick, or something else? Would there be a benefit to that? Any drawback to not adding side and top bricks?

What's simple way if any to add secondary burn pipes?

Also, how can i figure safe distances from side and top combustibles?

It has three breather inlets on front door for air, and working fan on rear that seems to blow air thru front vent holes u may be able to see in pic, they are on sides of the front.

use the old NFPA211 standards for clearances. Local building dept should have it. I would line the sides with brick, seal off any hole that was created for a gas line and do a baffle plate also. Never added secondary tubes to a pre EPA stove, but I am sure with the crowd on this forums, you could get plenty of ideas. As Mellow said, if there isn't a UL tag on the stove, do NOT burn it in your house without contacting AHJ and your insurance company first. Even a free stove wont pay for uncovered fire damage.

that line is probably an home made waste oil drip line. I've scene something similar setup e like that.
I dont think so unless the line inputs oil from underside of fire and has pressure to input it. It looks like used with pressurized gas.

Status
Not open for further replies.