recommed a CO meter ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rscottski

Oct 23, 2013
Enfield, NH
I am interested in purchasing a CO meter as I believe I may have a slight leak in the system. Yes I have done the flashlight / extra pellets in the burn pot smoke test. All the panels were removed for the test and in fact the entire stove was filled with smoke with no apparent leaks or odors.
Yes I have multiple Carbon Monoxide detectors in the house and none have ever gone off.
I am looking for an affordable meter that is easily reset for taking multiple readings.
I've checked and adjusted the door gaskets, hopper gasket, the gaskets around the exhaust motor and each of the joints in the rather short pipe system. I've changed the clean out T gasket but I still believe I am getting trace amounts of CO in the house. Just not enough to activate a standard detector.

Thanks

You want a low level reading CO detector. You can Google that and come up with a few options. They seem to run 100-200 more or less. I was always partial to the ones NCI sells. Usually you can only get them from an HVAC company that has gone through their training. Low level ones are great but can be set off by someone smoking etc. That is one of the reasons why modern detectors have such high alarm levels.I definitely recommend getting one. A lot of culprits that often get overlooked are gas ovens and water heaters. Ovens are not vented and can be as bad as any furnace. Also attached garages and negative house pressures causing venting problems.

https://www.nationalcomfortinstitute.com/pro/index.cfm

You can call them and they can get you in touch with a company near you.

https://www.google.com/webhp?source...ie=UTF-8#q=low+level+carbon+monoxide+detector

I wouldn't care as much about where the alarm levels are but that it detects as low as possible.

For a little more money you can prob get a CO detector with a probe. Which allows for more detailed detecting. It really requires some training but makes it easier to identify individual problems. For example your water heater may be producing 1000ppm up the flue but not "spilling" into the home. A normal detector will not detect it at all but it is a ticking timebomb in the right conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.