Recommendations for a 240 sq ft camp?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jemari

Sep 15, 2020
New England, USA
I have a 12X24 camp that I want a woodstove for occasional overnight use in climate zone 5. I would like a stove that burns as long as possible, and has some space on top for cooking or heating a pot of water. I have pretty much accepted that I will either need to get up to feed the stove, wake up to being cold for a bit, or have to open the door when it gets hot, if not all three, but I am seeking for the best possible stove such that I won't have to do these things quite as much. I am not willing to give up the ability to cook though! I am mostly interested in used stoves, simply because I need to stretch my dollar.

A small box stove like the Jotul 602 or a Morse 1B or an Upland 27 will do it. And yes, they will need feeding every 2-3 hrs when it's cold out. England makes the Grizzly camp stove that is much larger, but will need heat shielding if space is tight. It sells for about $360.