Recommendations for a mid-level Stihl

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NH_Wood

Minister of Fire
Dec 24, 2009
southern NH
Hi all!

I'd like to pick up a good condition used Stihl. I check Craigslist fairly often, or Ebay, and there are usually a number of saws available. I'm looking for something that can run a 20" bar with good power, and that has more power than my Dolmar 510 for when I hit bigger stuff. I'm happy with the Dolmar, but would like to add a second saw. Any suggestions would be appreciated - I'll make a list and look for those models as I scan the web. Obviously, newer models are nice, but I'd really like suggestions for older models too - I'll likely find those in my price range a little easier - I'm hoping to keep to ~ $300. Thanks! Cheers!

At 300.00 I would look for 025's and higher and 250's and higher.

I love the 025/250 but it's not going to be bigger than the Dolmar 510 or pull a 20" bar with authority. You'd be looking for a MS310, MS390, 039, 034, 036, MS360, or MS361. That's pretty much in order from least to most desirable too. If you find a MS361 with a $3xx price tag I'd be all over it assuming it's not beat. And 036 or 034 Super would be pretty easy to score for under $300.

That's going to be a tough one... You 50cc saw puts out 4hp and revs like a rice rocket. The 56cc MS 290 puts out 3.8. The MS 391 is 64cc and puts out 4.4. I think you are going to have to look at the pro level saws if you don't want something that you'll consider too heavy for the extra power. Maybe when HD gets rid of their Makita (rebranded Dolmar) saws you can pick one up at a good price. I think they offer a kit where you can swap pistons in the makitas and make a 74 cc screamer out of it. I don't think you'd be happy with a mid level saw for the power/weight ratio.

Matt

036/Ms360 should be in your price range and is plenty powerful. I run a 20" on my 036, but also have a 25" for the big stuff. It pulls the the 25" with a chisel skip chain just as strongly as the 20" with full chisel. Lots of bang for your buck.
1114111137.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions guys - I'll make a list and keep my eyes open for a deal! Cheers!

I run an 025, but it's just kinda... lacking.
I'd definitely run something bigger than that if your are looking for some solid power.

For mid size wood when I'm up on the tree I use an 036 with a 20" bar. It usually pulls nice as long as I don't try to work it too hard. Owned since 1997 and STIHL running great!

Flatbedford said:
036/Ms360 should be in your price range and is plenty powerful. I run a 20" on my 036, but also have a 25" for the big stuff. It pulls the the 25" with a chisel skip chain just as strongly as the 20" with full chisel. Lots of bang for your buck.
1114111137.jpg

Maybe off topic but I have that exact same (blue) ax. Got it when I was a kid in 1968 and use it all the time. The thing will never wear out. Will probably pass it on to grand kids.

I got my 361 for $300. Deals are out there...just have to be patient. Find a guy who likes nice saws and trades them in on new ones frequently. I had a standing offer that if he ever traded that 361 in I'd give him what the dealer would give him.

Status
Not open for further replies.