Recommendations for hearth gloves?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joefrompa

Minister of Fire
Sep 7, 2010
SE PA
Hi all,

First off, putting this here because it's hearth and appearance related, hehehe.

I'm looking for hearth gloves that will last and be able to pick up a burning log. I bought a pair off amazon last year that wore holes from my use purely in loading andnadjusting the fire. I use gloves usually if the fire is struggling to rearrange logs for airflow, so they see direct contact with flame.

My wife is eyeing up anpair from Eddie Bauer but they are 60 bucks. Kinda pricey. Any recommendations that will last?

joefrompa said:
Hi all,

First off, putting this here because it's hearth and appearance related, hehehe.

I'm looking for hearth gloves that will last and be able to pick up a burning log. I bought a pair off amazon last year that wore holes from my use purely in loading andnadjusting the fire. I use gloves usually if the fire is struggling to rearrange logs for airflow, so they see direct contact with flame.

My wife is eyeing up anpair from Eddie Bauer but they are 60 bucks. Kinda pricey. Any recommendations that will last?

I have six pairs*. Buy the cheap pairs. They Eddie Bauers aren't going to last any longer.

*And for some reason all six pairs migrate to one stove. And you can guarantee it isn't at the stove that I am currently loading.

BrowningBAR said:
joefrompa said:
Hi all,

I have six pairs*. Buy the cheap pairs. They Eddie Bauers aren't going to last any longer.

*And for some reason all six pairs migrate to one stove. And you can guarantee it isn't at the stove that I am currently loading.

LOL ! So true !

+ 1 one the Home Depot welding glove type. We ,like them, and they've lasted 2 years. Replacements already on hand.

Leather welding gloves. Easy to find, very cost effective and durable. Google "welding gloves" or welder's gloves". Rick

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
BrowningBAR said:
joefrompa said:
Hi all,

LOL ! So true !

+ 1 one the Home Depot welding glove type. We ,like them, and they've lasted 2 years. Replacements already on hand.

I get about three years from a pair of gloves now that I have several sets.

+1

Welding gloves.

Good advice above and we get the Home Cheapo type welding gloves. Cheap for sure but last a good long time.

But Joe QUIT PICKING UP BURNING LOGS! You need to learn how to use the poker for moving the logs. That is what it is for.

I'm going on my fifth year with a cheap pair of red welders gloves I got from Canadian Tire. With the F3CB, they are the best thing I have ever bought. More than once, I have had to reach right in to make a 19 inch log fit in an 18 inch space. Try that with bare hands.

colin.p said:
I'm going on my fifth year with a cheap pair of red welders gloves I got from Canadian Tire. With the F3CB, they are the best thing I have ever bought. More than once, I have had to reach right in to make a 19 inch log fit in an 18 inch space. Try that with bare hands.

There's a filthy joke in there somewhere.

For the love of Pete STOP IT!!! I can hardly catch my breath, I'm laughing so hard. And it's hard to type a reply when tears are obscuring my view of the screen.

BrowningBAR said:
colin.p said:

:lol:
I use welding gloves but I always freakin get a burn on my left upper forearm right above the end of the glove. I always bump the latch of the door when it is opened....
I hate trying to fit that last split in.....you think you can get it in there....and crap...it don't go in like ya thought... :ahhh: I always manage to get it in there though...but it has been close, very very close. :-S

GAMMA RAY said:
BrowningBAR said:
colin.p said:

:lol:
I use welding gloves but I always freakin get a burn on my left upper forearm right above the end of the glove. I always bump the latch of the door when it is opened....
I hate trying to fit that last split in.....you think you can get it in there....and crap...it don't go in like ya thought... :ahhh: I always manage to get it in there though...but it has been close, very very close. :-S

I think I love you Gamma Ray ;)

FYI, Eddie Bauer will replace the gloves at any time, without receipt, for any reason....so they are expensive, but there's something to be said there as well for all you replacing every 3 years.

I like the ideaof the 3-pack from harbor freight. Gonna check that out.

+ whatever we're up to now . . . cheap welding gloves. I think I picked up a pair at the local True Value Hardware store . . . but I'm not sure . . . I've had them three years or so now. I also was given a nice insulated pair of hearth gloves which I only tend to use while dumping a hot ash pan.

I cannot say as though I've had to worry about picking up wood all aflame . . . may have had to reposition some wood . . . but typically my hand is away from the flames . . . and if there are many flames I'll be using my fireplace poker to adjust things.

You can't beat Harbor Freight for cheap gloves and the welder gloves are no different. I must admit that I do not use them all the time and often only use one of them. I never touch a burning log, that is what pokers are for, you might also want to look up coal rakes. Many of us have made them and they are also a handy implement to even out the coals or pull them to the front to put a log in the back for an overnight burn. That way the log catches later on. Point is to use tools not your hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.