Recommendations? Need new stove, secondary air.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

WoodStoveFan

Oct 21, 2023
Minnesota
We're moving, and will be building a new home (i.e. we can design the spot for the stove).
We've used a stove to heat our whole house in our last 3 homes/40 years (with backup propane furnace) - but bought the last stove 22 years ago and things have changed!
The new house will be a bit bigger: 2400 sf

The insulation, glazing, and sealing of the house along with the floorpan will be key in coming up with a design that heats well with wood. There are several nice stoves in the 2.5 - 3 cu ft range that should do the job. It's a bit early for recommendations. For sizing, get the heat loss calculations penciled in early. If cathedral ceilings can be skipped that can make even heating a bit easier, especially in a power outage.

Reactions: WoodStoveFan
The insulation, glazing, and sealing of the house along with the floorpan will be key in coming up with a design that heats well with wood. There are several nice stoves in the 2.5 - 3 cu ft range that should do the job. It's a bit early for recommendations. For sizing, get the heat loss calculations penciled in early. If cathedral ceilings can be skipped that can make even heating a bit easier, especially in a power outage.
I will definitely not be doing cathedral ceilings - don't want the heat loss.
I plan on 9 ft ceilings.

Reactions: begreen
my two cents. Install a heat pump/ac with really good insulation and air sealing. HRV and and plan a stove location with an OAK. Today I’d you asked me what stove I’d say a pacific energy T6. There are many other good stoves but you asked and that’s what I’d do if in your situation.

my two cents. Install a heat pump/ac with really good insulation and air sealing. HRV and and plan a stove location with an OAK. Today I’d you asked me what stove I’d say a pacific energy T6. There are many other good stoves but you asked and that’s what I’d do if in your situation.
Heat pump in Minnesota? Funny.

New heat pumps using new tech to variable speed compressor and fans seem to work better in a wider temp band. No idea if they would work that far north tho. lol Im not even sold on them in missouri yet.

Thank you. Very helpful info - I was not familiar with that stove, so now I am reading about it. Very

Reactions: EbS-P

Shoulder season is still shoulder season in Minnesota. There are a couple weeks in August where the temp gets up to the low 30s.

Lol

Shoulder season is still shoulder season in Minnesota. There are a couple weeks in August where the temp gets up to the low 30s.

Lol
Heat pumps don’t work well once it’s cold. When you have an extended winter it doesn’t make much sense. That all I was saying

New construction this should just be standard in every state. Global warming is here summer will get hotter. My in laws would benefit from AC and humidity control in Maine. I honestly think running the heatpump any time it’s above freezing can cut wood consumption considerably at not much electricity cost.

Reactions: rijim
It makes sense, especially if ground sourced heat. If the house is built well and super-insulated even an air-sourced with backup will cover some of the winter heating needs and all of the shoulder season needs.

Can I ask:
What is an "OAK" that you're referring to?

It makes sense, especially if ground sourced heat. If the house is built well and super-insulated even an air-sourced with backup will cover some of the winter heating needs and all of the shoulder season needs.
Some yes, with high efficiency gas All of the heating needs can be met. You can’t always be there to load the stove. Everyone should be prepared for that. No one has mentioned geothermal…

I forgot to mention:
We have plenty of free wood on the ppty (also in State Forests) and access to a log splitter for our skid steer - so firewood is free for us.
And, we like many aspects of having a wood stove - so we will definitely be using the wood stove a lot.
I plan to have forced air aircon for summers - partly to help deal with humidity. So, there will be ductwork, which we will also attach to a backup heat source.
Thanks everyone for all the thoughts about backup heat options.

I forgot to mention:
We have plenty of free wood on the ppty (also in State Forests) and access to a log splitter for our skid steer - so firewood is free for us.
And, we like many aspects of having a wood stove - so we will definitely be using the wood stove a lot.
I plan to have forced air aircon for summers - partly to help deal with humidity. So, there will be ductwork, which we will also attach to a backup heat source.
It sounds like once it all comes together, this will be a great setup. There are several options. Once the heating requirement has been determined, the sizing of the stove can be firmed up. There are several options depending on operational and aesthetic needs. Will this be a local dealer install or a contractor install? If the stove will come from a local dealer what brands do they sell?

It sounds like once it all comes together, this will be a great setup. There are several options. Once the heating requirement has been determined, the sizing of the stove can be firmed up. There are several options depending on operational and aesthetic needs. Will this be a local dealer install or a contractor install? If the stove will come from a local dealer what brands do they sell?
Good points, thank you.
I am thinking of a local dealer install.
Will be going to talk to them in a few weeks.
Some of the local brands are Jotul, Vermont Casting, Lopi, Quadra, Hearthstone, Blaze King, Rais, Enerzone. I want to look and see if there's a Pacofic Energy dealer in the region.

That's good. They're all major brands. There's also the option of buying directly from Kuma and Woodstock.

Good to know - thank you.
I am not familiar with Kuma - will look that up.
It's a family-run business and they make a good product. Their stoves are catalytic hybrids.

I forgot to mention:
Forced air AC! It is a good call just spend the extra couple hundred for the heatpump equivalent model. I recommend dual stage equipment. Realistically it doesn’t even need to be cold climate you won’t run it below 30.

The OAK hooks to the stove and draws all the combustion air from outside the building envelope. For tight new construction (really I would suggest a blower door test) it means the stove doesn’t have to compete with any other exhausting appliances. Any range hoods over xxx cfm need a fresh air return. Plan accordingly.

Read up on ERVs. HRV could be an option. If you really want the best a ventilating whole house dehumidifier a great but pricey option.

Heat pump means you don’t need a low slow wood stove burn (read that as you don’t need a catalytic stove). Other option since you have forced air is a wood furnace. That would be very tempting to me.

Other option since you have forced air is a wood furnace. That would be very tempting to me.
That might be overkill depending on the degree of insulation and ceiling. This is where the heat calcs are necessary. Easy outside access to the basement is also important in that case. If the basement is going to be a frequently used extension of the living space, then a high-efficiency ZC fireplace with ducting may also make sense.

It's a family-run business and they make a good product. Their stoves are catalytic hybrids.
I am looking for just secondary air, because we're old and set in our ways.
Though it looks like K
That might be overkill depending on the degree of insulation and ceiling. This is where the heat calcs are necessary. Easy outside access to the basement is also important in that case. If the basement is going to be a frequently used extension of the living space, then a high-efficiency ZC fireplace with ducting may also make sense.

Could you share what a ZC fireplace is?

Yes, having the heat source in the basement works well - keeps the basement conditioned, and the heat rises to the floors above.

We're thinking about an outside boiler - but it could be a pain to have to go out to stoke it during blizzards.