Recommendations: Small Stove Remote Cabin

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

M@dMinute

Sep 17, 2014
Southwest OH
I am currently in the process of building a cabin in Ohio. Little insulation, 12x20 with 10 ft to eaves 12/12 pitch. It will be open all the way up to the roof with a loft.

I am looking for a stove recommendations, I need it to have a cook top, won't have electric so blowers are pointless. I like the look of cigar style burners just not sure which ones are good, I'd like to be at less than $1k. Totally fine with used items that I can start hunting for. What would you all recommend?

Will load some pictures on cabin progress as well as soon as they are approved.

Last edited:
Try to find a Jotul F602 or a Morso 2B in nice condition

Try to find a Jotul F602 or a Morso 2B in nice condition
I like both of those looking at pictures, I see nothing close to me here or on craigslists but I will keep looking.
What is the thing on the top of the 2b classic?

I believe the arched box is an extended heat exchanger surface area. You get more heat out of the unit. The trade off is (which is warned in the manual) is that burning unseasoned wood with the damper closed for extended periods could lead to chimney fires. They do not recommend an overnight burn for the same reason. The extended heat exchanger area drops the flue gas temps down more than a regular stove so this issue is worse. Jotul at one point sold a 606 with a similar arch, it was great stove probably too much for the cabin but despite having sold them for decades in Europe they stopped selling them in the US as Americans would ignore the warnings and have chimney fires.

A Jotul 602 is all you need, just make sure the burn plates are in good shape or plan on buying a set. A Jotul 404 would be nice if you wanted an oven but they are rarer than hens teeth and really better suited for cooking than heating.

I like both of those looking at pictures, I see nothing close to me here or on craigslists but I will keep looking.
What is the thing on the top of the 2b classic?
Maybe also watch eBay? This one is not great, but they do show up there fairly regularly.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-JOTUL-602-WOOD-BURNING-STOVE-GREEN/263286525945
Or get a new Englander 17VL (Tranquility). They are inexpensive and a decent small heater. The only thing is that it has a convection top, so not the best for cooking, except for slow cooking stews.

Last edited:
The Englander (Summers Heat) Tranquility 50-SVL17 just went on sale today at Ace Hardware for $549, and if you use promo code WINTER17 that drops it to $494.