record corn crop and prices dropping

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Deere just released earnings report and large machinery sales down but sales of smaller loaders and tractors related to feed lots are up balancing out sales. I was hoping that some of the Aussie beef would drop the prices here and with the Canadians pork market being blocked would boost thier sales to the south to US. Western Dakotas lost a lot of cattle in a blizzard too.

Maybe you should try eating the corn we are talking about. Not meaning to attack but get very tired of seeing this comment from people who do not know there is different kinds of corn grown. The easiest way to learn is to buy a bushel and bring it home then eat it. One bushel will be enough to answer your question of why some people choose to burn corn instead of eating it. This corn is raised in great quantities and right now is priced cheaper then pellets that is why we burn it. kind of like shopping for the best deal in pellet prices. With a multi fuel stove and proper exh pipe this is simply a attractive price for keeping your home warm.
Several reasons why not to burn wood. Try burning wood in Phoenix AZ in the winter and you will get a very stiff fine. Wood is not available every where, Sometimes we get older and can't cut ,load, split wood anymore but can handle a 40# bag.
With todays prices decent wood pellets are twice as high as corn.

No worries, I have thick skin and enjoy stirring the pot. I'm well aware of the differences between burning corn and eating corn but I'm confident that the ground they come from can be used to harvest other 'edible' foods, feeds, etc. But others are happy with planting anything they can plant anywhere they can plant it all of the time and then wonder why soil nutrients are so poor. As far as the GMO argument, if you're hungry enough, you'll eat the neighbors dog.

Fines in AZ for burning wood? Wow, who would have thought it was safer for an illegal to walk across the border than to heat your home the way you wanted.

Reactions: Owen1508
Not sure how much of our beef gets to the US.
Plenty heading into Asia and the middle east.
I dont think you would get the Aussie beef cheap as I am sure the US Government would have big tariffs on it though this is only a guess.

When I lived in PA that's all I would buy is Aussie grass fed Beef. Very good beef.

. Hard to believe that we have had only 2 days that the temps got into the 90's. Same with Indianapolis that's in the middle of country and may be a record cool summer for them.

Not quite as bad as the summer of 1816...lol

It was 48 at my house one morning this week when I left for work at 6AM

It was 48 at my house one morning this week when I left for work at 6AM
Yup. Cold summer indeed. Wasn't worth having the pool this year at all!

Not sure how much of our beef gets to the US.
Plenty heading into Asia and the middle east.
I dont think you would get the Aussie beef cheap as I am sure the US Government would have big tariffs on it though this is only a guess.
I remember the outcry when the government was buying beef from Argentina for the school lunch program. But the beef here was very cheap at that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.