Recurring Auger Jams with my Lopi Leyden

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gargravarr

Oct 21, 2008
North Central MA
Hi Every one...

I had a Lopi Leyden 'professionally' installed by a local dealer last October. I ran into an initial problem where there was a loose set screw on the Auger shaft and the stove subsequently wouldn't feed pellets at all. After a some cajoling, the dealer sent a service team out the next day and got the unit running....

I then had a problem where i was getting pellet jams almost daily at the top of the drop tub - an email to Travis industries suggested I remove the flap in the drop tube as they were seeing that part cause jams... This solved that problem...

HOWEVER since that time, i have had recurring auger jams in the hopper - some times as many as 3 a day, usually several per week. I can usually break away the offending pellet by hand, some times I need a screwdriver. Because this happens so frequently, I am reluctant to ever put more than half a bag of pellets in the hopper in case I have to clear a jam, I don't want to have to scoop out pellets! This all makes using of the stove quite unreliable....

I spoke with the dealer today, and they tried to brush it off as bad pellets of inconsistent length. I'm Using LG pellets, which I think I read that these are of decent quality... and looking at the bin of pellets I keep near the stove, I don't notice any that seem excessively long...

My theory is that when the stove was installed with the loose set screw, the motor was spinning around the auger shaft and that the set screw may have worn a grove in the auger shaft. When the dealer's tech came the next day and tightened the set screw, it may be tight enough to drive the shaft 90% of the time, but because of this groove the set screw is not properly binding the shaft to the motor.

Any one have any other thoughts on this? I would have assumed that the auger motor would be strong enough to break through any pellet that might protrude between the auger and the auger tube, rather than jam... (The occasional jam I can understand... but this is far to frequent for me to accept)

I've asked the dealer to come out and check on this, but they are threatening me with a service charge if it turns out to be 'user error.' I cant imagine that nearly daily (some times several time a day) auger jams is user error!!!

Any help/suggestions is appreciated.

Yeah, something sounds wrong....but just to eliminate the last possibility of "user error", it would be good to throw another brand of pellets in there and see if the same thing happens. Maybe the dealer can sell you two bags of something that he knows will work.

After that point, I would suggest being a bit assertive. First, find out if removing that part is a "real" fix...in other words, do new stoves not have this part?
Then, I think you should pressure the dealer a bit - being nice, of course. Tell them they can schedule it when they are coming toward that way.....as long as it is within a reasonable amount of time - like two weeks. Also make sure 100% that they talk to Travis Customer Service about your specific problem and history.

In the end, they want to fix it as much as you do...but sometimes they need reminding of that! It certainly does not sound like user error, but try those other pellets just to make sure.

Webmaster said:
Maybe the dealer can sell you two bags of something that he knows will work.

Excellent advice. It would be hard for the dealer to claim user error when your purchasing and using all their products. Besides, what is user error? A Leyden is basically just a start button.

I think you have a problem with that set screw or similar, I can actually hear my auger breaking the pellets on occasion. Seems to have plenty of torque available to break pellets.
Mike -

Oh and when you remind the dealer to touch base with Travis make certain that you have informed Travis of this new situation. Nothing like being in a service business and discovering that the people you represent already know about the issue and you were not the person informing them. Can you say oops ... I knew you could.

Status
Not open for further replies.