Recycling old wood units?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jtp10181

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 26, 2007
Marshall, WI
Was just thinking about all the fireplaces we toss in our dumpster and wondering if anyone has tried recycling them at all? We normally get wood units, old prefabs and old "slammer" inserts. Sometimes we get some old gas units as well. I wouldn't even care if we got any money back for it, but just keeping all that crap out of the landfill.

jtp10181 said:
Was just thinking about all the fireplaces we toss in our dumpster and wondering if anyone has tried recycling them at all? We normally get wood units, old prefabs and old "slammer" inserts. Sometimes we get some old gas units as well. I wouldn't even care if we got any money back for it, but just keeping all that crap out of the landfill.

They are all metal. Every landfill I have ever seen has a contract with a metal recycler.

So are you saying the landfill probably recycles them automatically? Or that I should call the trash service and see what they can do...

The landfills I have been around all had areas for dumping metal. The recyclers come in and pick it up and pay the local politicos for it.

It is a pretty good revenue stream for them.

Heck yes, it definitely should not be going into a landfill. They should be paying you to take away the metal. Maybe be see about getting a regular pickup by a recycler?

If your landfill or transfer station does not offer metal recycling, which most do, you can call your local metal recycler and they will come pick it up. Or, you can take it to them yourself. Check your phone book. Every community has a metal reclamation company, often down by the tracks or near the river.

Status
Not open for further replies.