1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Red maple as an ornamental?

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by StihlHead, Aug 19, 2013.

1. StihlHead

StihlHead Guest

OK, so I lost a liquidambar (sweetgum) tree last year growing among some Norway maples and liquidambar trees here on my property. I cut it down and it is now seasoned firewood waiting to burn. I got an oddball volunteer maple tree from my brother last year in a pot with an odd shaped leaf. I have since ID'd it as a red maple. I am thinking about planting it near where the liquidambar was. These are eastern trees that are grown here as ornamentals, but I am not familiar with them. I know they are not the best firewood, but I am not replanting for burning, just for landscaping. I read that they are toxic to horses, but the deer like eating it (and everything else). I have sized it up to about 8 feet now and it should survive the deer if I plant it this fall.

Anything good/bad I should know about them before planting?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Our red maple is up to about 15ft now. The good thing is they transplant well. Ours has been moved twice. Give it regular watering until the rains begin.
    StihlHead likes this.
  3. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

We have them on the golf course, several actually. They make great ornamentals and the herds of deer populating the place don't seem to bother them, regardless of size.
    StihlHead likes this.
  4. semipro

semipro Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Virginia
    We have some around our house. They have grown fast and we like them. Some will produced the "whirlybird" seeds prolifically. The seeds clog our gutters.
    StihlHead likes this.
  5. Adios Pantalones

Adios Pantalones Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S.NH- Mass's smoking section
    Grow fast, good foliage display, normally the first trees here to turn are the red maples in swampy areas.
    Backwoods Savage and StihlHead like this.
  6. StihlHead

StihlHead Guest

It sounds like the red maple will be an ideal candidate to plant here then. Thanks for the feedback.
  7. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Red maples grow well and reasonably fast too. Very pretty in the fall of the year. As for firewood, if you compare with oak then one might say it is poor but it can still make good firewood. You just won't get a long of a burn from it.
  8. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Ours is already showing red in the tips.
  9. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    We have several with several limbs showing red on most of the leaf. Was coming back toward the house today and noticed one I had not seen yet. Really bright red with all the leaves on one limb. Yet the closer I got to it, the deep red seemed to look a lot lighter in color. Still pretty. We're seeing lots of birch with most of the leaves yellow already too.
  10. Hogwildz

Hogwildz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Next to nuke plant Berwick, PA.
    Japanese Maples are beautiful trees, and ornamental.
    My parents had on at our old house, and have several more at their new place.
  11. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    I have 2. I would do it again.