Red Oak Score!!!!!!!! Turns out to be Ash!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

learnin to burn

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Nov 22, 2008
Southeastern, Pa
I drove past a large tree about a month ago that was cut down in someones yard just off the road. I figured the guy cut it down so he could burn it and didn't bother checking it out. I drove by again yesterday to see what kind of progress had been done. To my surprise nothing had been touched! I found the home owner and asked if he had planes for the tree. He said He was waiting for the township to come back and pick it up they took it down because they felt it was a hazard to the road. After informing him the twp wouldn't be picking it up because it was his property he said if you want it go ahead and get it. After hauling away about 1/2 the tree he comes out and asks me for my number so he can call me if any trees fall in his yard. :)

I still have to go back for the rest of it but the pick is what I have so far.

Attachments

• DSC00017.JPG
    DSC00017.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 761
Nice score, some of those rounds look heavy.

Heavy is an understatement. The largest 1 is 44" diameter by 16" wide, the smallest of the large rounds is 38" diameter by 16" wide. It took 2 of us just to role them onto the trailer. I truly don't know how much they weigh, but if I had to guess I would say somewhere between 250 -350 lbs a piece. My brother on the other hand would tell you he thought they were closer to 500lbs.

Maybe the sun is messing with the pic and making it look different. Here are a couple of different pics.

Attachments

• DSC00013.JPG
    DSC00013.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 626
  • DSC00019.JPG
    DSC00019.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 623
Those dark stains look like there's metal in that there tree.

That good burnin wood!!!!

Nice score, regardless of what kind of tree it is.

Nice find! One time, I found a green dot in the middle of a pine tree. I looked at it real close. It was a portion of a garden hose that was used to wrap around the tree for support when it was a sapling.

Lee's Wood nails it again. It downed on me the last time I thought I had red oak it turned out to be Ash which Lee helped I.D. SO I split a few piece and sure enough it was Ash as Lee said.

Sorry for doubting you Lee.

Now that we know it is Ash is there any chance some of it will be ready to burn in March or April.

Thanks

learnin to burn said:
Now that we know it is Ash is there any chance some of it will be ready to burn in March or April.
Yes it could be if laid up soon and well.

Some of those rounds are real back breakers. I would have taken an axe or maul to them so I didn't kill my back horsing them around. Ash is a great find. Should be good to go this winter! Wish I could find some like that.

If you have to burn it this year then ash is a better score then oak! Congrats!!!

learnin to burn said:
Lee's Wood nails it again. It downed on me the last time I thought I had red oak it turned out to be Ash which Lee helped I.D. SO I split a few piece and sure enough it was Ash as Lee said.

Sorry for doubting you Lee.

Thanks

Better yet, if you get that stuff split now and stacked where it gets good air circulation you'll be able to burn it by December, when you really start to need it.

Thanks[/quote]

Better yet, if you get that stuff split now and stacked where it gets good air circulation you'll be able to burn it by December, when you really start to need it.[/quote]

That's good to know but I have 4 1/2 cords in the uncovered shed in the background already. I went through 7 1/2 cords last year with most of it still green. That was fun! I'm hopping I won't need more than 5 for this season which is where the new ash will come in to play.

Attachments

• Stack-1.JPG
    Stack-1.JPG
    228 KB · Views: 252
Status
Not open for further replies.