1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

red oak/white oak

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by bruce56bb, Jul 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bruce56bb

bruce56bb New Member

Loc:
    Flint Hills of Kansas
    i just read that the easy way to identify red or white oak is to look at the leaf.
    red oak=pointed leaves
    white oak=rounded leaves
    can anyone validate this for me?
    thanks bruce

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Eric Johnson

Eric Johnson Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Central NYS
    That's a pretty good general rule. White oak is also pretty easy to spot from the bark--it tends to be lighter in color and have a softer texture.
  3. martel

martel Member

this could be a really nice wiki entry- tree ID through pics of leaves, bark and splits
  4. martel

martel Member

the leaf IDing is good, but I feel like with the scrounge and winter work I am more often trying to do the harder work of IDing without leaves... trying to learn bark and grain etc. With leaves I am doing all right and lots of internet resources.
  5. daninohio

daninohio New Member

Loc:
    Cincinnati, OH
    I've been bucking a lot of wood lately and was looking today to see if I had black locust or honeylocust (it was honeylocust).

Here is a good link intended for the OH area, but useful elsewhere too, I'm sure:

http://www.oplin.org/tree/

The ones I viewed had good pictures of leaves, fruit, bark and silhouette/form.
  6. EatenByLimestone

EatenByLimestone Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Schenectady, NY
    If it is dry, you can blow right through a piece of riven red oak. Red oak is basicly a bunch of hollow straws. It's pretty neat when you stick the other end of the stick in some water... cool bubbles. White oak has blockages that do not allow you to blow through it.

White oaks rays are also much more pronounced than those on red oak. Check out some old mission style furniture to see the rays on white oak.

Matt
  7. EatenByLimestone

EatenByLimestone Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Schenectady, NY
    If I remember, there was something about yearly acorn production too. One has yearly acorns, the other is every other year, but I'm not sure on this one...
  8. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Drop the tree. If about four seconds later the smell hits ya, it's red oak.
  9. Eric Johnson

Eric Johnson Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Central NYS
    Smells like some old geezer has been drinking bourbon and throwing up for the past three days.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.