Red oak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cburke

Burning Hunk
Feb 24, 2014
Honeybrook Pennsylvania
So it finally got cold here in se pa and finally broke into the good wood today, loaded the timberwolf full for the first time with all red oak, it's usually been a few pieces mixed in with red maple and oh man what a heat difference and length of burn! It burned so much hotter than the maple. Sorry for the rant just very pleased since 95 percent of my wood I have for this year and next year is all red and whit oak

I know the feeling! I had almost exclusively locust on hand for last winter. It was a stroke of luck that I had that on hand for a very cold winter.

Have great wood, mostly hard maple, on hand for this year, but it's still not the fuel that the locust is.

Glad to hear it's going well,

pen

Ain't it sweet. I'm in the same position. Been mixing my red oak with pine and some other stuff. Hard to believe the difference when I stuff it with all 3yr old red oak that's 13-15%. I've been waiting for this winter to burn this because of all the hype here about 3 yr oak. Have to say it's everything it's cracked up to be and an absolute joy to burn.

So it finally got cold here in se pa and finally broke into the good wood today, loaded the timberwolf full for the first time with all red oak, it's usually been a few pieces mixed in with red maple and oh man what a heat difference and length of burn! It burned so much hotter than the maple. Sorry for the rant just very pleased since 95 percent of my wood I have for this year and next year is all red and whit oak
Same situation.....what is left is mainly Oak. This is the most I've ever burned Oak, and yes, a huge difference, I can see why folks seek it out.

Happy to hear. :)

Red oak and red maple ~ a great combination. The maple burns hot, but there ain't nothin' like dry red oak on those really cold nights. I've been saving it for when the temps drop.

White is probably my favorite dead-of-winter wood, but Red ain't too far behind. Most of what's available here is Red Oak, so given the drying rate in my stacks, I gotta do what I gotta do...get 3 yrs. ahead and stay there.
I've been waiting for this winter to burn this because of all the hype here about 3 yr oak. Have to say it's everything it's cracked up to be and an absolute joy to burn.
Yessir, the Buck is lovin' the load of White that my nephews and I took over there a few days ago. 3 summers stacked double-row on pallets, and it's burning well. I should have some left for next year, with a legit 3 yrs in the stack. Nice to not have to try to stuff the box, just throw some splits in there and still have a couple intact at 12+ hrs. ==c What I've been doing lately is toss a couple splits of dry White Ash in the center on a fresh load. I can get the cat glowing quick with the Ash, which gasses a little faster, then later the Oak gets going strong and the stove cruises out real nice. >>

I'll be digging into my stash here soon. About 4 days or so. Can't wait! I should be hitting it in prime time for a cold snap predicted to hit here with highs in the single digits and lows in the - teens. I try to stack my wood according to when I need in the winter. I predicted and hit it good this year!

Reactions: Fred Wright and pen
I've been burning 3 year red oak this week. My wife really noticed. She said I'm actually hot in here. A first that I can remember. It does really cook. I rather mix it with something else too

Reactions: Woody Stover
Nothing wrong with red maple . . . I mean, sure, it's not red oak . . . but once seasoned it burns and burns pretty well . . . enough to keep you warm. I burn plenty of red maple every year.

Status
Not open for further replies.