Red tinted ash?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Is it normal that the ash I shovel from the insert has a red tinge?

Never noticed it when we just had an old-fashioned open fireplace. But then, we didn't use it that much and I didn't scoop that much ash.

The red tinge isn't everywhere. Much of it is what I considered normal - grayish white with some charred black chunks, etc.

I'm burning 2-year old wood from a city firewood sale. I don't know what species, but I suspect it's mostly from ash trees cut down during the height of the emerald ash borer epidemic.

Must be from minerals that the tree soaked up during it's lifetime?

If everything is in good order, I wouldn't worry.

Got any pics of it?

Must be from minerals that the tree soaked up during it's lifetime?

If everything is in good order, I wouldn't worry.

Got any pics of it?

Very common

It's tough to google 'red ash' because you get only pages about that kind of wood. When I finally thought to google pink ash, I got a lot of hits, including some from books from the 20's and before. It's clearly a common thing, and those old hits ensured me it wasn't some strange modern chemical or metallic substance. I just never knew or noticed that wood ash sometimes comes in that color.

It's tough to google 'red ash' because you get only pages about that kind of wood. When I finally thought to google pink ash, I got a lot of hits, including some from books from the 20's and before. It's clearly a common thing, and those old hits ensured me it wasn't some strange modern chemical or metallic substance. I just never knew or noticed that wood ash sometimes comes in that color.
Some of those old books are interesting reads. They are coming at it from a different perspective, from a time when wood heat was far more common.