Reduce household water use by 40%

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This poop page has not been dumped on recently, but at least for those who pay for water, you may save mucho by making sure your toilets don't leak. Leaks can be silent and waste 100's of gallons of water/month. Just put a drop or two of food coloring in the tank, and without flushing if it shows up in the bowl in a minute or so, it's leaking. Replace the flapper valve or equivalent. And for those with septic systems, usually the less water through those the better, so do the drop test.

BTW, I use the bucket/sawdust toilet in my shop which has no toilet facility, and then compost the remains. Total cost was $0, just used an old 5 gal bucket. Also 0 water use, except that added from use. No smell, plus after two seasons of composting and then to the garden, gives new meaning to "eat s**t."

DiscoInferno said:
Here I would consider the "investment" to include having to crap into a bucket every day in my own house (and then empty the bucket). I think it's well worth whatever fraction of $25 flushing represents to not have to do that. (How much do you think you would have to pay someone to periodically empty such buckets?) Even if it is in a nice wood box. Ick. (Yes, I do have some hang-ups.)

When I was growing up the empting the honey bucket was a morning chore. None of us kids wanted to do it so we would wait until you couldn't put any more in it an then that person had to empty it. It wasn't easy to empty a bucket that was filled to the brim :coolhmm:
We didn't get a inside until I was a senior in high school. Kids now days don't know how good they got it. I don't want to have to go back but if you think that gas is high just wait for water. We here in the Great Lake area need to start protecting our water cause the next great war will be over water.
leaddog

Status
Not open for further replies.