reduced clearances?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cwill

Oct 13, 2010
W. MI
Kinda doubt it but figured I would throw this out there anyways. My alcove is lined with 1/2" cement board and dry stack stone. the cement board is attached to wood studs. Does any of the cement board/stone count towards reducing side cleareances? found a deal on a fw3000 stove(http://www.century-heating.com/en/products/wood/wood-stove-on-pedestal-model-fw3000), but the side clearances dont really work out. looks like I will be 6" short unless i can reduce the clearances some. If it dosn't count, which again i'm pretty sure it doesnt, is there any other ways?

your assumptions are correct. ? why you are changing stoves one yr later???

"....is there any other ways?" >> not without tearing down the previous work you have done.

I think your "Alcove Build Thread" in your signature should be suggested reading for anyone who asks about sticking an insert into a prefab fireplace. Nice work.

In order to get a compliant clearance reduction the wall shield should be built to NFPA 211 specs. Speak with the local inspecting authority and see if they would allow you the same reduction as if this was done with full width brick. If wall is 3.5" thick masonry it may qualify for a 33% clearance reduction. Unfortunately this specific case is not listed in the stove manual, but a reasonable inspector may accept it.

Reactions: cwill
In order to get a compliant clearance reduction the wall shield should be built to NFPA 211 specs. Speak with the local inspecting authority and see if they would allow you the same reduction as if this was done with full width brick. If wall is 3.5" thick masonry it may qualify for a 33% clearance reduction. Unfortunately this specific case is not listed in the stove manual, but a reasonable inspector may accept it.

thanks begreen, thats what i was looking for. No way would i redo any of it. Doesn't matter much anyways, guy sold the stove right after I looked at it last night.

Madison, reason I want to change stoves after a year is this one is only a 1.3 cf stove.

Im about to build a close wall behind my stove,i figure if i use all non combustible materials (metal studs,cement board ect i can get close to the stove without danger.Also the masonry component will act as a heat sink absorbing the excess heat and giving it back later when the stove goes out. Sounds reasonable to me.

The danger would come from not following tested guidelines. If the wall is completely non-combustible and properly vented then as much as a 2/3d clearance reduction can be achieved, as long as the stove mfg. permits the clearance reduction.

Status
Not open for further replies.