Refilled the rag bag this morning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
If left on my own, I’ll wear work clothes out to the point that I look like a vagrant.

This morning I went through my old carhartt pants and work shirts. 4 pairs of pants and more shirts and hoodies than that restocked the cleaning rag bag.

It seems the only clothes that are ever fit to donate or pass on are the things people give me and I never wear.

Do any of you keep clothes going a little longer than you need to?

you bet. jeans wear out a knee or both, zag zag stitch them back up on machine, by the time I am finished with them the seams are letting go to the point that any further repair is futile.

I'm the same way.

My wife was on OBX with her mom last week. They were in CVS at checkout behind an elderly gentleman that tried to pay with two $1 bills. Thought they were 10s. My wife paid for him.

I said, "thanks for the tip!" I already dress the part. :)

MIL phoned after they returned to say that her handicapped hangtag was left in my wife's vehicle. Score!

Shabby clothes? check!
Know the $1 bill routine? Check!
Handicapped hangtag? Check!

Just kidding. My wife mailed it back to her mom.

Absolutely! My brother regularly harasses me about my clothes looking like rags. When I'm done wearing some stuff it won't even qualify as a decent rag...

My wife wants me to get rid of old work shirts because they have holes, stains and paint on them. My answer is that then I'll just have newer shirts looking the same way shortly...

I used to, always kept old shirts and worn-out pants thinking I'd need them for painting and other critically-dirty jobs. But then I'd find I wasted more time and frustration on digging under crap tee shirts looking for good ones every morning, or moving worn-out jeans to find a newer pair. Eventually learned that it's better to just toss it now, and save the space and time for other things, than after 3 years of ignoring it and moving it aside in my closet or drawers.

Working on an old house, tractors, firewood, cars... there's always a fresh supply of new stuff, too stained with grease and paint or with missing buttons and torn cuffs, to worry about keeping old clothes around specifically for dirty jobs. Next month, there'll be more!

I could not go out in public in my painting clothes.

Reactions: PaulOinMA and NickW
Whenever I walk or bicycle near a road, I wear tie-dye for visibility. Painting clothes might save some money on new tie-dye. Might even be a motivation to get some more painting projects done.

If left on my own, I’ll wear work clothes out to the point that I look like a vagrant.

This morning I went through my old carhartt pants and work shirts. 4 pairs of pants and more shirts and hoodies than that restocked the cleaning rag bag.

It seems the only clothes that are ever fit to donate or pass on are the things people give me and I never wear.

Do any of you keep clothes going a little longer than you need to?
Sure do, like I tell the wife, I'm in the woods so who in the heck is going to see me. I bought some new ones when my weight hit 232 a few years back but since I'm at or around 200 those smaller beat up old pants get more use....maybe Santa will leave a new pair.

I have clothing specifically for wood processing. Yeah, I keep them longer than I should but as long as there are no holes in pockets (hate that) and no real big holes/tears in the pants/shirts.....they're good to go. After being washed, all the stains are clean stains!!

After retiring, I dropped off 8 sets of flannel lined carharts to a mechanic shop that was very glad to get them. They were in great shape. I had dealt with that shop for almost 3 decades-good group of guys!

Reactions: thewoodlands