Refractory - Alumina

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jebatty

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 1, 2008
Northern MN
Has anyone considered using alumina as a refractory in a self-made gasifer or as a replacement or modified refractory for experimentation purposes in a gasifer? Its properties seem to be well suited for these purposes, including operating temperatures of 2300-3000F.

One website of many: http://www.zrci.com/?REFERRER=AZOMDOTCOM

I think nofossil used it to build a new gasification deflector. His first attempt turned into expensive gravel, I think, but then he either modified it or made a new one out of thicker material. Not sure how that turned out. Search "alumina" and you'll find his reports.

Nofo must be on a secret mission somewhere because I haven't seen him around in awhile. I'm hoping to meet him at the Expo in Vermont in a couple of weeks.

Eric,
What is the expo in Vermont? When is it?

http://www.nefpexpo.net

Free pre-registration ends this afternoon, so better sign up now. If not, it's $7 at the gate.

Nofo has been on a well-earned vacation ;-)

I've destroyed a wide range of refractory materials, including low-density alumina bricks rated for 2300 degrees. They worked great in terms of getting full secondary combustion going quickly, but the only thing I've found that holds up is the high density 3000 degree high-alumina firebrick. I've got a guy at a big boiler shop interested, so I'll be doing more experiments next heating season.

Eric Johnson said:
I think nofossil used it to build a new gasification deflector. His first attempt turned into expensive gravel, I think, but then he either modified it or made a new one out of thicker material. Not sure how that turned out. Search "alumina" and you'll find his reports.

Nofo must be on a secret mission somewhere because I haven't seen him around in awhile. I'm hoping to meet him at the Expo in Vermont in a couple of weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.