Refractory Box Replacement in VC Winterwarm

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

easy_ed

Oct 30, 2017
MD
I'm curious if anybody has any advice on how to replace the refractory box in a VC 1280 Winterwarm? I have the throat pieces, grate, and the rear wall of the combustion chamber removed to expose the cavity where the refractory box sits, but the opening is too small to fit the new box back in. (The old one came out in pieces.) Do I need to remove the upper fire-back (with the damper opening in it)? If so does anyone have any experience removing it? Just take out the hex bolts on each side? This is going beyond my normal catalytic replacements, figured I'd ask before I tear into it any more.... Thank you in advance!!

Yes, the entire damper assembly needs to be removed.
You also need to pull the insert so you can remove the secondary air probe, then reinstall it after the new box is in. Some units don’t have an access panel either, so you have to remove the convection jacket to get at it...

Thank you - I had read something about re-installing the air probe a couple years ago when I first realized I was going to have to replace the refractory - but when I removed the old box, there was no sign of any sort of probe. Just a large nail that had been driven into the bottom center of the refractory box. Weird.

Does the damper assembly come out just by removing the two bolts in the upper fireback or is there more to it? (I assume I have to disconnect the linkage to the damper lever as well.)

You’re probe was already burned off then.
I don’t remember having any real trouble removing the damper assembly. Can’t remember for a certainty about the damper linkage.