Refresher question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zr2yz125

Sep 28, 2009
The SMOKIES of TN
I started burning late in the season last year, and I cannot remember the correct flue temp range to stay within. I thought it was 600-800°F, but after having the first burn of shoulder season last nite, I remembered that I forgot what the temps should be.

I have a digital thermocouple in the center of the pipe right where the pipe meets the top of the stove. I remember last season getting it up to 1000° in order to get the secondary to light off before closing it down.

So yesterday I hit 1000° and started dialing it down. It quickly settled in around 650° and made for a nice evening.

I'm gonna miss summer....
...but wood burning makes me miss summer a lot less!

I try to keep my temps (probe style thermometer) in the 500-650 degree F range . . . the thermometer shows the "safe" range to be 400-900 degrees F . . . but I figure the thermometer may not be spot on accurate and so I run it about halfway.

With internal temps I'm thinking 100 degrees F is a bit high . . . 650 degrees F is perfect . . . at least for me.

600-800 does sound reasonable. I would not want to exceed 1000 even though it would be okay for a short time.

Status
Not open for further replies.