Regency baffles..should replace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

celticpiping

Hearth Supporter
Sep 27, 2007
Maine,USA
www.gouette.com
Howdy lads,
My Regency insert has those two interlocking baffles above the two tubes.
They're original, and are starting to wear, and even drop pieces off..
Replacement cost is fairly high..

I guess I'm wondering if they should absolutely be replaced..?
It seems that we aren't getting the most out of the stove lately, but I'm not sure if it's totally wood related, or can these baffles play a part in losing heat?

Thanks & cheers.
Rich

I would say replace them. I would think they keep the heat in longer and help with the airwash to keep the glass clean.

Yes, you definately need that baffle for clean burning and efficiency.

How long have you been burning in the insert and how much are new baffle panels?

celticpiping said:
Howdy lads,
My Regency insert has those two interlocking baffles above the two tubes.
They're original, and are starting to wear, and even drop pieces off..
Replacement cost is fairly high..
You could buy the same thickness material and cut it to shape yourself. There are several guys on eBay selling refractory board for very reasonable $$. Either a serrated knife or fine-toothed hacksaw blade will cut it cleanly.

I had same problem, Regency started making vermiculite baffles, which are a lot sturdier, I also ordered two more sets. I have the medium freestanding model. They go for $55 out here in PEI.

Yup, nice up here today, going to -18c tonight with -30c windchill, my Regency has *NO* problem beating back old man winter in my 1200 square foot log home.

Only problem is I must have brought in a bad batch of softwood, dehydraded, dead carpenter ants everywhere <LOL>

Fellas, if I could resurrect this thread for a moment, do any of you happen to know if a place like Lowes would carry something that would suit as a refractory board to cut & place into my Regency insert?
I know the correct part is ideal...but I'd replace it tomorrow if I could..
Rich

Celticpiping,

I have had two Regencys and have never paid for replacement of the ceramic baffles....according the warranty on the last page of my manual:

"The Warranty: Lifetime
Covered under the agreement are the following components:

Firebox, Ceramic Baffle, Vermiculite baffle....(it goes on)

The above will be covered for parts and subsidized labor for the first five years and parts only thereafter with the exception of the fireboxes..."

I find the baffles begin to break down after about 5-6 cords (a good two seasons+) of burning. I full intend with my new I1200 to pursue this with the dealer/installer when the need arises.

Celticpiping
I like Howdy Lads will need to replace my Regency insert interlocking baffles above the tubes after this season.

Could you tell me if you called the Regency factory in Canada or call the local dealer for the parts?

Thank you,

Status
Not open for further replies.