Regency Classic I2400 Available, what do you think?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

k3c4forlife

Oct 30, 2009
I originally had posted "When to buy a stove and which one to buy? (House floorplan attached)"

There’s a thousand different stoves that fit my requirements. I own a 1,360 sq.ft. Ranch. I would like something that is set for 1,600-2,000 sq.ft., looks good (the only thing that’s important to the wife), does the job, and is on the cheaper side (obviously)...
The dimensions on my fireplace:
Depth: 24”
Rear Width: 24”
Front Width: 30”
Height: 28”

I have looked at pretty much every wood insert that I can think of and narrowed the list down to fit what I am looking for.

There is a Regency Classic I2400 available to me for $500 obo. The reason for selling is because they switched to propane. What do you all think? Has the blower and the gold accents.

Regency site says it will fit the stove dimensions above... Anyone have this stove, any reviews?

Thanks,
Kevin

Sounds like a decent deal. If the stove is well cared for and low use, go for it.

If it's in good condition, hasn't been overfired or otherwise abused, it sounds like a good deal. Even better if you can get any pipe included in the price. Examine it carefully, looking for cracks in the welds and sheet metal, missing parts, and white or light-colored metal (evidence of over-firing). Cracked firebricks can be replaced. Oh, and you'll need a magnet for the hum/moan/howl fix mentioned in the thread quoted by Mellow. :lol:

It sounds like a GREAT deal. Inspect the stove inside and out, check for cracks in the welds, check the baffles, ect. Even if you had to dump a couple hundred into it for parts, still a very good deal. I have sold a ton of those inserts and ALWAYS have a happy customer when I do

I have a Regency I2400 and it does a pretty good job of heating about 2600 sq ft. If you can get a good one for $500 that is an excellent deal. I paid $1300 for mine slightly used and it doesn't have the gold trim. (wanna trade doors?)
I had to use a offset box to line up the liner to the stove. They were offset about 5".

How does cleaning work with the offset box??

k3c4forlife said:
How does cleaning work with the offset box??
I remove the top layer of firebricks, do a top down cleaning, then vacuum any creosote from the offset box that hasn't fallen into the stove.

So I am going to make the trip and go look at the stove on Saturday. I was speaking with a neighbor who has been burning for 30 years. He said that Regency stoves have a high risk of warping due to the way the steel is prepped for the insert.

What is the average life expectancy on a Regency insert? Neighbor says it only has a quality burn for 6-8 years until things start warping?

Kevin

Never heard of any problems with any warping on any Regency wood stove and I've been selling them on and off for 25 years

Franks said:
It sounds like a GREAT deal. Inspect the stove inside and out, check for cracks in the welds, check the baffles, ect. Even if you had to dump a couple hundred into it for parts, still a very good deal. I have sold a ton of those inserts and ALWAYS have a happy customer when I do

+1. on the Great deal. The I2400 is a kick-a$$ heater...
These inserts are prone to cracks , ESPECIALLY around the load opening,
IF they've been over fired...
Carefully examine the areas in the vicinity of the corners...
If there ARE cracks, & they haven't propagated past where the door gasket seals,
you can drill the very ends of them to stop further propagation & fill em with
furnace cement...

On season number two with my I2400 and I love it. keeps the furnace off and house in the 70's. I have a 1500 ft ranch. I run mine up to 550-600 all the time and it lloks great, no issues.

regency said:
On season number two with my I2400 and I love it. keeps the furnace off and house in the 70's. I have a 1500 ft ranch. I run mine up to 550-600 all the time and it lloks great, no issues.

The insert would be in a pretty good location in the house. The one I am looking at has the gold door and the blower. My ranch is only like 1,360 s.f so that is really encouraging. Seems like a really good deal. Where do you live Regency and how much wood do you go through in a year keeping the house in the 70s?

I am in Michigan, we are mainly in the twenties here now. Twenties and above are great, get in the low teens/single digits you have to keep stoking her up. I load it around 9 at night and allow the furnace to kick in at 66 degrees around 4 in the morning. I burn 24/7 minus the occasional furnace time when gone for extended times. I burned around 6-7 facecord last year and look to be on the same track this year. Too early to tell!@

Ya, so between 2 and 3 cords a year. What kind of wood are you burning? I want to make sure I'm set for next year.

Mainly choke cherry but I have a mix of apple elm, and a good amount of ash in there as well. As long as its dry your fine

kc, hope that i2400 is still around. Are they holding it for you?

The guy actually said that no one else followed up on it. He gave me a verbal holding. Ill follow up with him today.

You all seem to think it's a steal. The wife, not so much. "That money could be going towards a puppy..."

The only thing that sucks is that it is looking like I am going to need a flue offset box. The installation doesnt look like its going to be too much fun. How do you push the insert into the fireplace when it weighs so much?

Ah yeah, it could be going towards a Kubota BX25 too. :) Well, that sets some priorities. Maybe tell here there's nothing a dog likes more than a warm hearth.

Hah... I just bought her two siamese kittens. Where I'm from you don't pay for kittens, theyre a dime a dozen. Gotta admit these kittens are cool though. Bought the house a month and a half ago - kittens, a dog, and a baby? Gotta slow down here. Lets get warm first... :)

k3c4forlife said:
The guy actually said that no one else followed up on it. He gave me a verbal holding. Ill follow up with him today.

You all seem to think it's a steal. The wife, not so much. "That money could be going towards a puppy..."

The only thing that sucks is that it is looking like I am going to need a flue offset box. The installation doesnt look like its going to be too much fun. How do you push the insert into the fireplace when it weighs so much?

Can use small threaded pipe for rollers

How do you get them out after the insert is in? These things weigh a lot. I gotta clean the hell out of the chimney this week, get the insert probably saturday, submit for permits and order the liner kit and the insulation kit. I would image 95% of these installations have a problem somewhere along the line.

I am also going to need to get a hearth extension. 18" off the front of the door is a long ways on most fireplaces.

The trick to reducing cleaning is to burn only dry wood and don't let the stove smolder. The second part is easier with an EPA stove because the fire always gets some air.

I used a sheet of metal to slide my insert(s) in or out. That way one person can walk out the stove. Neither had an offset, not sure what the best way is to make life easiest for cleaning, but I would guess it would be top down brushing, with baffle removed and a flexible vac hose for getting into the offset. Might be a good question for a separate posting?

Status
Not open for further replies.