Regency F1100 versus Regency R3

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I am new to wood stoves and new to this forum. I just bought a used Regency F1100s dated 1997 from a friend. The stove will be vented straight up through the cathedral ceiling of our 1800 square foot, open floor plan, tri-level house. I know that the F1100 is a little small for our house (mfg rating up to 55,000 BTU), but we plan to use the stove for supplemental heat until we can afford to install either a larger replacement or a second stove in the fireplace at other end of the house.

The person we intend to choose for the installation has an older Regency R3 model dated 1990 that he would like to trade with us. Both stoves are EPA certified. The R3 is slightly larger and has slightly higher BTU output which might be better for our layout. My question is how can I assess which will be better for us: the newer but smaller F1100 or the older but larger R3? Does seven years make much difference in these stoves? What other things should I consider when comparing and choosing between the two stoves. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.