Regency GF55 - Installing a Thermostat Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nryan85

Oct 26, 2013
Maryland
Hello all,

I purchased a home two years ago that had a Regency GF55 pellet stove and this year decided to use it as my primary heating source for the first time. It's been running great (thanks to these forums) and after running it all night a few times, it keeps the house very toasty (almost too much!) and I feel like I'm wasting a lot of pellets by keeping the place too warm, so I need a thermostat.. currently it only runs in manual mode

I've never installed or even replaced a thermostat so before I purchase something I want to make sure I know what I'm doing. I've scoured this forum for as much information as I can but I just want to verify some things that is more specific to my situation.

Attached is a picture of my circuit board and circuit diagram that is next to it. I was looking at the Skytech 3301p thermostat, in that case would I just run 2 wires from the green thing on the circuit board to the receiver of the thermostat and program the remote? I know wired thermostats are much cheaper, so are they any more complicated to hook up then the wireless one? If i get a wired thermostat do I need to run power to it?

I apologize in advance if this has been posted ad nauseam but I would greatly appreciate the advice and information!

Attachments

• circuitboard .jpg
    circuitboard .jpg
    267.7 KB · Views: 386
  • circuitdiagram.jpg
    circuitdiagram.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 403
Yes you would attach your wires to as you call it the green thing you would do the same for a wall mount thermostat you would not need power for a wall mount.

I use the Lux TX500U on my M55-C-FS
It is a wired thermo. I have the thermostat in a separate room from the stove.
Connections are just two wires.
The Lux Thermo has 2 AA batteries in it for power.

Think of a thermo as a switch. All it does is allow signal to pass thru it.
The brains of the thermo control when it switches.

In Stove Hi/Low mode
The stove basically just waits for the switch to turn on/off in standby (idle) condition.
When the thermo senses room temp below its turn on set point it closes the switch and allows the stove to ramp up to whatever power level it is set to for running mode.
Once the thermo senses room temp above its shut-off point it opens the switch and the stove goes back into idle condition.
About the only difference between wired or wireless is "the two wires" and ability to place the thermostat where ever you want.
The connections at the stove will be the same.

If your house is like most,
and only requires heat (stove) running early AM till you leave for work.
Then ramp down or off during daylight hours.
Then Ramp back up for evening till you go to bed.
Then ramp back down for while you sleep.

Then using a thermostat to control the stove run time will save you pellet usage.

If your house is occupied all day then it just becomes a convenient way to set the desired room temperature.

The Stove Manual shows where on the stove control board to make the 2 wire connections. Polarity doesn't matter.

Good Luck,
---Nailer---

Status
Not open for further replies.