Regency Hampton HI300 vs Enviro Venice 1700

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dagoof

Apr 6, 2015
Eastern Idaho
Been lurking and reading for a while.

We have a 1,900 SF home with a full 1,900 SF basement, and when the power goes out on a -30 degree winter day in Idaho, we need a way to heat the house, cuz it gets cold quick at those temperatures. Figured that a good insert in the middle of the basement floorplan should go a long ways towards keeping things reasonable during a long power outage and also help a lot on the electric bill the rest of the time.

Our old cinder-block and stone fireplace does almost nothing to help heat the place, so we're taking off the stone and shopping for an insert to rebuild around. The wife and I had just settled on what we thought was a good deal on a Enviro Venice 1700 for $1,750 + install, but then our salesman told us that he had a "better" Regency Hampton H1300 sitting on his display shelf that he would give us for the same price.

Is the Regency really better than the Enviro?

It kind of looks like the Regency is put together a little better, but the specs on the Enviro seem a little higher. (longer burn time, higher efficiency, and more SF of heat)

Am I missing anything major here?

Am I looking at the right stoves for my application?

Either insert will fill the bill for providing heat when the power is out. You seem to have reasonable expectations for keeping it "reasonable". I am personally a big fan of the Enviro insert based not on owning one but on 10 years here of seeing owners in love with theirs. Most of them heating 24/7 with them.

Welcome to the forum and folks that have either insert should ring in soon to help your decision process.

Both will get the job done, but if the fireplace is large enough I would also look at 3 cu ft units. FWIW, heating upstairs from the basement can be a mixed bag. If the basement is uninsulated and/or if the fireplace is on one end of the house and a long way away from the stairs, the results can be unsatisfying.

PS: Is this a 3800 sq ft house, basement included? If so, you may want a wood furnace instead.

Both will get the job done, but if the fireplace is large enough I would also look at 3 cu ft units. FWIW, heating upstairs from the basement can be a mixed bag. If the basement is uninsulated and/or if the fireplace is on one end of the house and a long way away from the stairs, the results can be unsatisfying.

PS: Is this a 3800 sq ft house, basement included? If so, you may want a wood furnace instead.

Yes. The total space of my home is 3,800 SF. The basement is insulated and there are two stairwells with a fireplace right in the middle. I have forced air upstairs, and I'm mostly happy with it except for the fact that it gets expensive during weeks when the temperature really drops for a cold snap in winter. I've also got a pellet stove upstairs that I'm learning to use.

My intention of the wood insert is to be prepared in the event of an extended power outage and also to supplement extra heat on cold winter nights. I don't intend to be chopping and burning 24/7. The fact is, we never use our current stone fireplace because it actually makes the downstairs family room colder. We want to replace it with something that will actually put out some heat and also look a lot better.

I guess I've got room for something bigger, but we didn't really see much bigger at the local shops.

This is the fireplace in question:

WP_20150406_002.jpg

That should work to keep the basement warm at least. Both inserts have a good reputation. For 3 cu ft models, take a look at the Pacific Energy Summit and the Regency I3100.

I have the HI200 and have been happy with it from a quality standpoint... it is just too small and all I could fit in my fireplace. I've never seen any of the members with HI300's say anything negative about them. Since you're doing some demo, I wonder if a freestanding stove might better fit your need to heat during a power outage? The inserts will need battery backup or a generator for the blower. For me, I'd go with the largest unit that will fit in the fireplace if you're set on an insert. Good luck!

I have the HI200 and have been happy with it from a quality standpoint... it is just too small and all I could fit in my fireplace. I've never seen any of the members with HI300's say anything negative about them. Since you're doing some demo, I wonder if a freestanding stove might better fit your need to heat during a power outage? The inserts will need battery backup or a generator for the blower. For me, I'd go with the largest unit that will fit in the fireplace if you're set on an insert. Good luck!

How bad will the heat output suffer without power and the blower?

I was under the impression that I'd still get substantially more heat than just the regular old-fashioned fireplace opening.

It depends on the insert. PE inserts convect pretty well with the blower off. Generally, the more the insert projects out onto the hearth the better it will heat with the power off. Flush inserts usually are not too good without the blower running.

How bad will the heat output suffer without power and the blower?
Significantly, in my experience. My fireplace is on an outside wall and without the blower it is almost useless as a heater. To begreen's point, we had also looked at the Lopi Revere (my preference) for this exact reason but the wife loved the look of the cast iron flush mount by comparison.

If I had it to do again I'd have put a freestanding monster in my finished basement two years ago, told the wife it was the salesman's fault if the heat didn't make it upstairs and have her talked into an insert by now - the best of both worlds.

Having ran and installed the Enviros for years, I can attest for their quality and endurance. They are a good value for the money spent. But so is PE, even Regency. Any quality steel stove is made to heat and last. 1750 for the 1700 Venice?? If that includes the surround, that's a good price too. Really, you can't go wrong with any products discussed here, The Summit would be my choice for 3CF inserts. (The 1700 is 2.5cuft). Good luck with what you get.

Status
Not open for further replies.