Regency I1200

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

asmith

Aug 19, 2010
foster, RI
anyone have one that can tell me about heat output? I have 2400 sq ft home but have a lennox 36 prefab in a ZC fireplace and want to replace it. Think i only have room for a fireplace the size of Regecy I1200 but will it heat enough for the $3500 price tag?

asmith said:
anyone have one that can tell me about heat output? I have 2400 sq ft home but have a lennox 36 prefab in a ZC fireplace and want to replace it. Think i only have room for a fireplace the size of Regecy I1200 but will it heat enough for the $3500 price tag?

The I1200 is an INSERT not a fireplace. If it's the biggest one that will fit your ZC box,
you might as well tear it out & get one of the EPA rated wood burning fireplaces like the
HnG Northstar or the Regency R90 or EX90. None of them will heat your ENTIRE house,
but they MAY do 75% of it, depending on the house construction/insulation.
The I1200's rated at 55K BTU INPUT & if it's 75% efficient you're gonna get 41.25K BTU OUTPUT.
If your house is crab's ass tight & has R21 walls & R38 ceilings, you'll need about 30 BTU per sq. ft.
2400x30=72K BTU OUTPUT. At 75% efficiency, you'll need 96K INPUT
41250/30=1375 sq ft.
Unless you close off HALF of your house, you don't want the small Regency, & THAT'S
if your house is VERY WELL insulated.
Lotta numbers thrown around in there, but that's what we use to determine ROUGH heating requirements...

DAKSY is 100% correct on all that info. The fire box on the I1200 is a little small but the other importantant factor is ability of your house to prevent heat loss. you will be loading it more often to try and keep the Btu's going more consistant. What i mean by loading more often is that the wood will burn out quicker in a smaller fire box.

asmith said:

We had the I1200 installed last summer in our 1600 sq ft house and burned in it almost every day last winter (though not constantly throughout the day). It's reduced our heating bill substantially and (around 30%) and gets the front rooms of the house very toasty. That being said, I tend to think of it more as an improved fireplace rather than a replacement furnace in that it's really too small to heat the entire house substantially.

I think even if you have a very well insulated house, there's no way you'll be able to heat it solely with this insert. However, depending on your access to firewood, storage space, commitment to splitting/stacking, and the type of fuel you'll be replacing (natural gas, propane, fuel oil), it may be a decent option.

I'm curious about the price of this insert. How much are they going for?

I have a I1200 and agree with the others. My home is 1800 sq ft all of my wood is scrounged and I burn almost 24/7 that's alot of work with a small box. I paid alot less for mine and it has just about paid for itself in 1 year since my labor is free. It can help with your heating bill but don't expect it to pay for itself anytime soon at $3500?? Price seems very high. If your paying for firewood I wouldn't even bother.

Thanks for all the info. I probably should have stated not expecting it to heat entire 2400. The insert is around $2000 and $1500 install problrm is I am limited and want to stay in $3500-$4500 price range. Looked at extrodiar fireplace and itself starts at $4000 plus demo and new pipe. I only have depth of about 22"

What about appalachian gemini XL. Any info on that for insert? Still like idea of taking out the what I have but $ is difference. I have access to wood 4 acres and don't mind cutting (for know)

I'm currently waiting on quotes as I'm in the same predicament. 2400sq ft house in MD, where I currently have an FMI Craftsman C42 Zero clearance fireplace in. Looking at 2 main options now. 1) Either the I1200 or PE Vista as an insert, which I'm expecting to cost in the neighborhood of $3000. Or 2) Having that all ripped out and replaced with an R90. Unfortunately, all the demo and reconstruction will likely drive the price towards $8000.

My goal is not to heat the entire house, as I realize since this in not in a central location, but to at least help cut down on the 1st floor heat pump needs. (Dual system house). The current fireplace has an "aircooled" pipe system, which allows TONS of cold air to blow in when not burning, which is often since its a fireplace that can't burn when I'm not around. What I'm currently thinking is that if I can at least get to the "solid pack" pipe, with an insert that can at least burn for a few hours while I'm away, it has got to greatly enhance the warmth of the house.
Since we'll be sitting in this living room watching TV, I'm also concerned that the bigger R90, while still not able to heat our house, will simply run us out of that area. I wish you could test drive these things in YOUR conditions to make the final decision more sound!

colescott. Are you sure you can't go for a larger insert? Both you and asmith should post the actual firebox dimensions for the ZC. It could be the dealer has not mentioned all available options because they don't sell them.

What I was told is that the Summit / I 2400 would slide in, but no space to make the connection.

Dimesion of the existing box opening is 24 inches high, 18 inches deep, 42" wide.

I'm all ears. :)

Hearthstone Clydesdale or a Lopi Revere?

Anybody agree/ disagree with the links's discussion above? Overblown BS, or truth we Zero Clearance folks should be keenly aware of?

Seems like this is kind of like a cause looking for a problem. BS, not entirely. Overblown, likely. BB can chime in as he was involved in that thread. FWIW, I don't think we've ever had a failure reported here with a properly installed insert. But this is your home. You need to be comfortable with the final decision.

I agree safety is my main concern then heat. I started this wondering if I1200 was big enough and know its small 1.4 cubic fire box but in attempt to heat house we sit at night in room where fireplace is and may heat us out of room. That firbox I will be loading a lot!

I started all this and am know leaning to rip out my lennox 36. i will still only have about 26" dept . What does anyone know about RSF fireplaces? extrodinair is $$. $4000 for fireplace itself.

ASmith,
Had 2 companies out to look at putting the I1200 in. Both said it was fine, but didn't have an answer as to when I asked / showed them how my FMI Craftsman fireplace clearly states to NOT install any insert that hasn't been tested on this exact model fireplace. The regency I1200 clearly does not state that, and even says that clearances tested on the masonry tests still apply. (Can't find exactly what that means, or what those clearance are, but willing to bet they ain't "zero". The one company said they would have a rep from regency call me if I wanted, as they DO feel that they tested on every make of zero clearance made).

Either way, I think I'm gonna lean towards having the FMI ripped out and replaced with the R90. Lots more $$$ invested, but I have a new house that I haven't even covered over the builer paint with, so doing whats right and safe is also of utmost importance over saving a few $$$$$.

I think I am going with northstar and taking out zc. More money but with tax creidit $5000 will become $3500 and I think that is worth it. Bigger firebox and more heat

Status
Not open for further replies.