1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)
  1. KB007

KB007 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Ottawa, Canada
    With the blower off, yeah. My installer had me try putting a candle in for about 15 minutes just to get some warm air going, then try to start a kindling fire. It worked pretty good. Tho, since we've been using the starter things, we never bother with kindling any more - they work really well.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Fod01

Fod01 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Long Island
    I've got a cape code with an external, lined, uninsulated chimney. When the system is cold (no fire for a day), and outside temps are mild, it has a lazy draft. When starting a fire, I'll only ever leave the door fully open to light and load. Cracked after that for maybe 5 min or not depending on what I stuck in there. This season I'm trying only smaller splits and a firestarter. No kindling. It seems to work ok, but we'll see how the first cleaning goes.

I remember a thread a couple years back where the installer had kinked the liner. Are you able to shine a light up/ down there to take a look?

Happy Thanksgiving
    Gabe