regency insert secondary burns

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tumm21

Jul 16, 2011
North Jersey
Strait to the point Im not getting any kind of secondary burn. Why? I have had the stove top up to 600 degrees. I close the damper half way, And no secondary burn. Help.

Try closing down more . . . maybe to the quarter mark.

What stove or insert? What is the moisture level of your wood? In my I3100L if the wood is not dry, secondary's don't kick in much.

Great insert, IMO - of course I'm biased! I'm assuming the chimney is tall enough and with 600 degree temp there is a good draw occurring. If that is true, the only thing I would guess is fuel moisture and/or size of splits. In mine, secondaries rarely kick in (other than the back one) with large splits (6x6 and up), but with several smaller splits (4x4 or 4x4x5.5 wedge) they do. That is with 3 yr old oak and cherry. When the splits get burning good and the IR gun shows the front (just above the door) is around 400 F, I can shut the air down slightly below 1/2 and the dragon appears. With temp around 450+ I shut it down to 1/4 and the dragon stays for about 15 to 30 min. With poor fuel, the insert wants air to be open 1/2 to maintain a good heat producing fire and no dragon.

Where are you measuring "stove top" on the I2400 and how? I can't think of where you'd get 600 on it and wonder if maybe your thermo is woefully off (like most magnetic ones are. Do you have an IR gun? If not, buy one, it'll give you much better peace of mind.

I found I was having a little trouble when we first put in our I3100, and it turned out A) the thermo was reading way too high amd B) because of it I wasn't getting it really hot enough to get a good burn. I let it get up a little hotter than Retreadsme, maybe 450 ish and find I get nice secondaries out of all but the front tube for a while until things start to die down. This is with the air fully closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.