Regency, Modified firebox "depth"...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WES999

Minister of Fire
Jan 12, 2008
Mass north of Boston
While the Regency is a nice little stove the small fire box can be a problem. Hot coals are prone to fall out of the stove when the door is opened and raking coals forward.
It seemed like a simple fix to raise the lower door lip to better keep coals inside the stove.

The first version was just a flat piece of 1/8" stainless steel, it worked fine except that it kept the heat away from the glass causing it to get black on the bottom.

The second version was perforated (213 holes) and had a slight bend away from the glass. This allowed more heat to reach the glass.

I cut the piece out on a water-jet machine, ( it's nice to be able to have a machine shop available)
It was attached to the stove with 3 stainless steel flat head screws.

So far it is working very well.

Attachments

• Picture 207.jpg
    Picture 207.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 166
  • Picture 215.jpg
    Picture 215.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 159
  • Picture 218.jpg
    Picture 218.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 163
Good idea. Is it stout enough that if you bump it with a split it won't bend or damage it?

Todd said:
Good idea. Is it stout enough that if you bump it with a split it won't bend or damage it?

It is 1/8 thick stainless steel, you would have to whack it pretty hard to bend it.

i have (2) R-3's which are basically the same stove. I solved the problem of ash fall out by taking a piece of 3/16 plate steel and cutting it to 22" x 12". I then welded two tabs on the underside that are placed so that they slip over the edge of the existing ash apron on both sides. I found doing it this way does not cut down on the size of the opening when you open the door. The 12" width of the new apron catches everything. Had this on both stoves for the last 3 years and happy,happy,happy.......

Status
Not open for further replies.