Register booster fans

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Millrrr

Dec 31, 2014
Pa
I was looking at putting one of these in to increase warm air flow of wood stove from basement to living room. Living room is one floor above basement. Also going to put in return register. My question is are these register fans worth it?...and if so any recommendations?.. thanks tom

They have the "Register" fans that simply sit on the existing register and you plug then in, and draw air out. They could slow the draft if they are not continuously running. There are also the "Duct" fans that are installed right into the existing duct work, but unless you have some electrical and duct work knowledge, you may need to have a professional install them.
I've used the register fan, and was not impressed with the results, seemed like it needed something a little more powerful. You may take a look at your furnace filter or have the duct work cleaned out, IMO that may be a better use of your money.

They have the "Register" fans that simply sit on the existing register and you plug then in, and draw air out. They could slow the draft if they are not continuously running. There are also the "Duct" fans that are installed right into the existing duct work, but unless you have some electrical and duct work knowledge, you may need to have a professional install them.
I've used the register fan, and was not impressed with the results, seemed like it needed something a little more powerful. You may take a look at your furnace filter or have the duct work cleaned out, IMO that may be a better use of your money.
Thanks.... definitely a route to look at. Are these register fans a gimmick?..

The return register will have more effect than the booster Locate away from your sitting area though as the cold air flow can make things uncomfortable below ankle height.

I hate to say it's a gimmick, more like a Band-aid on a large wound.
Another possible issue could be a duct has separated and the airflow is leaking out of the duct.
How about a doorway fan, or any fan to help move the warm air up from the basement?

Another possible issue could be a duct has separated and the airflow is leaking out of the duct.
How about a doorway fan, or any fan to help move the warm air up from the basement?
Ok..Good info

I definitely can put a fan by steps to push warm air up..I was wondering if I should put a regular floor register in or try the register with the fan? Basement is awful hot and would like to push warm air to living room.. thanks tom

Try moving the cold air along the floor of the main floor down to the basement. You'll have better luck mechanically moving this cold air, the warm air will tend to move to replace the cold air.

You can do this with a small fan at the top and/or bottom of the steps.

Try moving the cold air along the floor of the main floor down to the basement. You'll have better luck mechanically moving this cold air, the warm air will tend to move to replace the cold air.

You can do this with a small fan at the top and/or bottom of the steps.
Ok...so fan or register fan on living room floor pushing cold air to basement... thanks

Definitely push cold air at the floor, not warm air at the ceiling. Many threads on this site for years attesting to the wisdom of this...

I bought one of these to give it a shot and see what happens. Worst case I take it back. I put it in the living room where the stove is and closed all the registers except for the bedrooms. I'll see if it pulls enough cold air to increase the temps. I'm not real optimistic, but wth. I'll check back and let you know. They are rather loud. My hope was to maybe prove a theory and if it checks out maybe install a dedicated duct, inline fan, and register from the back of the house to the front. We'll see.

My experiment failed. Ran for 3 hours and the temp didn't change a single degree. 125 cfm is obviously not enough to pull cold air. Plus it's loud. So for its intended use it's a bandaid, for what I tried it's a gimmick.

My experience leads me to believe they are a gimmick. The one I had blew the air out of the register at twice the speed while cutting the cfm in half. No change in temperature. No change in air movement into the room.

Status
Not open for further replies.