Regulations in the UK.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

guest5234

You guys across the pond seem to have a mountain of regulations before putting in a woodstove, here in the UK no one seems to care a jot if you stick any old stove into any old space as long as it is a smokeless zone.
I rang my local council up for clarification of clearances etc and they did not have a clue and passed me around to several departments untill someone said "as long as you stick to the manufactures clearances you stick it wherever you like fella" no inspection nothing, just wait till we start having a number of house fires over here as everyone is thinking "wood burner" then we will see a whole raft of regulations.

Just a thought.

Neil

I think part of the reason why regs are not significant in the UK is due to very few houses in UK being built of timber unlike over the pond. We do still have regs and all stoves should be installed by a qualified hetas engineer but not everyone is aware of this.

Neil- I have to imagine that it's less popular based on the availability (or not) of wood there. Population density, land prices, and lack of trees- you must have a reasonable personal source of wood. I remember the first time I was going to Notts on business and joked with a colleague there about seeing the forest- he commented "don't sneeze or you'll miss the tree :)

Seems there is a serious effort to reforest areas. When I was up in the peaks district there were lots of saplings planted with trunk-guards to keep the sheep from doing what they do (not that... eating plants).

It does seem a bit odd to me as I have dealt with some of your Local Councils over there and they do seem to have a regulation or code for everything I'd expect - just a bit different then how we do it over here - that is all. It is good that the answer you got was to do it according to manufacturer specs...

Adios Pantalones said:
Neil- I have to imagine that it's less popular based on the availability (or not) of wood there. Population density, land prices, and lack of trees- you must have a reasonable personal source of wood. I remember the first time I was going to Notts on business and joked with a colleague there about seeing the forest- he commented "don't sneeze or you'll miss the tree :)

Seems there is a serious effort to reforest areas. When I was up in the peaks district there were lots of saplings planted with trunk-guards to keep the sheep from doing what they do (not that... eating plants).

Where I live there are trees and woods everywhere, loads of free wood just lying there to be picked up if you open your eyes...loads of oak and beech woods around my area.

Neil said:
Adios Pantalones said:

Where I live there are trees and woods everywhere, loads of free wood just lying there to be picked up if you open your eyes...loads of oak and beech woods around my area.

I have actually spent a bit of time not so far from you over in Cheltenham dealing with the Cotswald District Council. Will be back over in a month or two I think. Plenty of woods and quite a nice area.

How did you make out during last years flooding?

Is it me, or does it seem, the whole reason our forefathers came here about representation & smothering laws, rules etc. Has now reversed roles?
Seems like our brothers over the pond now have a more open minded, less regulating society & government. And we in the U.S. now have a very overbearing, closed minded big brother govnt., that seems to know so very well whats good for us & what is not good for us, and is smothering us with this? I have no permit, no inspection, paying no additional insurance or taxes on installation of my insert. Of course I tore out a crappy Fuego Flame that was not made for 24/7 burning or much else actually, and direct connected. Installed my Summit with full liner according to manufacturers specs, and I now heat my entire home cheaper & yet even safer than previous set up. And no big brother to oversee, inspect, and take money from me, for improving my living situation. Rant over, thank you for listening LOL.
Congrats to my brothers over the pond on not being strangled with regulation after regulation in the name of what is best for you by others. ;)

author="Neil" date="1221220975"]You guys across the pond seem to have a mountain of regulations before putting in a woodstove

Depends on the specific location of this rather large country. I put mine in, started fire, went about my business. No fuss whatsoever from the building inspector, the insurance co., or my mortgage lender....if those few don't care anybody else can kiss my arse. On the bright side, if it gets worse over here we may re-colonize back across the pond!!!....of course we'll have to bring proper vehicles, food and dental care :coolhmm: .....(just bustin' yer chops).

here in the UK no one seems to care a jot if you stick any old stove into any old space as long as it is a smokeless zone.

That's because all the buildings are brick and a few hundred years old...they figure if it hasn't burned down in that time you should be good to go (j/k).

Hogwildz said:
Is it me, or does it seem, the whole reason our forefathers came here about representation & smothering laws, rules etc. Has now reversed roles?
Seems like our brothers over the pond now have a more open minded, less regulating society & government. And we in the U.S. now have a very overbearing, closed minded big brother govnt., that seems to know so very well whats good for us & what is not good for us, and is smothering us with this? I have no permit, no inspection, paying no additional insurance or taxes on installation of my insert. Of course I tore out a crappy Fuego Flame that was not made for 24/7 burning or much else actually, and direct connected. Installed my Summit with full liner according to manufacturers specs, and I now heat my entire home cheaper & yet even safer than previous set up. And no big brother to oversee, inspect, and take money from me, for improving my living situation. Rant over, thank you for listening LOL.
Congrats to my brothers over the pond on not being strangled with regulation after regulation in the name of what is best for you by others. ;)

Dont you believe it Big Brother is alive and well in the UK we have more cameras spying on the population per head then anywhere else in the world and speeding cameras produce an income of over £100 million per year.

renewablejohn said:
Hogwildz said:

Dont you believe it Big Brother is alive and well in the UK we have more cameras spying on the population per head then anywhere else in the world and speeding cameras produce an income of over £100 million per year.

Ouchies, I believe they are jumping on the speeding cameras here also. They are already making special license plate covers that reflect the light so that a camera can't take a photo of the license plate here. And of course big brother has made those illegal. So now they are making a clear spray to make it reflect. Always rules, always working on ways around the rules. I want to secede and make my own compound/ country, I'll call it, Hawgonia ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.