Relation between pump size and water velocity

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Babu

Feb 17, 2015
Rochester
I'm heating a 23 ft by 19 ft shop with a 20 ft celing. My heat loss calculation shows about 30,000 btu/hr. I have 64ft of 3/4"copper baseboard heaters rated for of a total of 37760 btu @ 180 F. I'm showing based off the
"Taco Radiant Made Easy Application Guide" this requires about 3.9 gpm at a 20 F drop and I should keep the velocity between 2 ft/s to 4 ft/s.

The 2 pipe coming into the shop total 40 ft of 1" oxygen barrier pex and there are lines, fitting etc connecting the baseboards. Let's say I have a head loss of 5 ft and already have a taco 007 pump. At a 5 ft head loss the graph shows the pump will push about 16 gpm.

Will the Taco 007 pump increase the velocity to beyond 4 ft/s?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.