1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Relay basics, tutorial

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by MrEd, Nov 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrEd

MrEd New Member

Loc:
    Rural New England
    Found this webpage and thought it might help someone else new to relays (like me). Got my first ones in the mail today and am going to try to put them to use later this week.

http://www.bcae1.com/relays.htm

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Nofossil

Nofossil Moderator Emeritus

Loc:
    Addison County, Vermont
    Great find! I nominate this for the 'useful stuff' sticky.
  3. sdrobertson

sdrobertson Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West Michigan
    Excellent...I've been looking for something to explain relays to me...thank you very much
  4. Paso

Paso Member

Loc:
    Western Canada
    Awesome site there goes the week. :)
  5. cguida

cguida New Member

Loc:
    Eastern Maine
    On the subject of relays, check this link from WoodNotOil -- a board with 4 solid-state relays, 4 to 32v dc input; 50-240vac out, 2amp. Quite alot for 20 bucks. Haven't tried it, but hope to soon.

http://cubloc.com/product/01_03ssr4.php
  6. rvtgr8

rvtgr8 New Member

Loc:
    Elbert Colorado alt. 7300
    Thanks for the great web tutorial, Mr. Ed. I really was in need of just such a page.

Robert
  7. Gooserider

Gooserider Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Northeastern MA (near Lowell)
    Nice relay 101 explanation... The car audio emphasis is a bit distracting from the relay tech part, but the principles are pretty good. Could stand to make a bit more emphasis on the need to match the voltage, current and AC/DC choices to the application, but again, not bad.

Will try adding it to the "tidbits" when i get a chance... (BTW, any of the mods can add stuff there, I won't mind...)

Gooserider
  8. Gooserider

Gooserider Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Northeastern MA (near Lowell)
    One other point worth mentioning - you will occasionally run into "solid state" relays - These are an electronic equivalent to the traditional "electro-mechanical" relays discussed in the tutorial above...

They can be a little fussier about insisting on the right control (coil) and switched voltages, currents, and AC / DC type, and often will insist on the right polarities, etc... However they can be very useful and offer advantages in the right application. They are particularly good for computer control type applications, because they often require less power to switch them than a mechanical relay.

However, while they work differently under the (non-removable) cover, from where we sit as system builders, they do the same thing, and can mostly be wired up the same way...

Gooserider
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.