relearning my new/old stove, Vigilant owners input needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

struggle

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 24, 2006
NW Iowa
NO that I have refurbished this Vigilant I was wanting some input as to how you work your your Vigilant?

I am on my second burn with it and with just a few piece's of wood in it temp is up 300 on the pipe just above the stove. Since the paint is still new I have not put a thermometer on the stove top yet.

What temps are you running on the top and pipe for a consistent burn.

How about the little air intake door on the left side of the stove, leave it wide open?

What temp does one turn the damper up for down draft burning and what temp should the top of the stove and pipe run.

In the past we would fill the box completely full of wood after coals were established. Is this a big no no?

Since I have no brick in it is it OK to let it run hot after two small burns. On the first one this morning after the stove became warm it sizzled in the areas on the joints but eventually quit doing that.

struggle said:
NO that I have refurbished this Vigilant I was wanting some input as to how you work your your Vigilant?

I am on my second burn with it and with just a few piece's of wood in it temp is up 300 on the pipe just above the stove. Since the paint is still new I have not put a thermometer on the stove top yet.

What temps are you running on the top and pipe for a consistent burn. 450 to 650 gruddke stove top

How about the little air intake door on the left side of the stove, leave it wide open? Full open at start up once you get it going close and watch thermos

What temp does one turn the damper up for down draft burning and what temp should the top of the stove and pipe run.

you need a good bed of coals wood fully involved in the burninbg process griddle temp above 500

In the past we would fill the box completely full of wood after coals were established. Is this a big no no?

Learn to build a fire and how you stove reacts for the time being add wood a couple pieces mat a time and wathc the thermo

Since I have no brick in it is it OK to let it run hot after two small burns. On the first one this morning after the stove became warm it sizzled in the areas on the joints but eventually quit doing that.

this link is the owners manual for your stove

http://www.vermontcastings.com/catalog/elements/files/Defiant_Vig_Res_Intre_Pre88-0226.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.