Reline 8" or Straight out SS.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dcoates

Aug 12, 2008
Ulster County - NY
I am new here and I have a question, I have purchased Jotul Oslo wood stove and I have two chices for Chimney.

1 - Reline my exsisting 8" cermic Flu - Rear Flue out of Stove 2 90deg (S-Turn into Thimble) then another 90 up.

2 - Go straight up thru roof with SS insulated Liner. My delema is the astetics outside, I would have 6-7 foot sticking out with 2 support braces.

which would be my best bet, from what Im reading straight out is best, but how much better I guess is my question?

Thanks

Don

Welcome and congratulations on the new stove purchase Don. I take it that the existing chimney is exterior, is that correct? There are a couple options if you go that route. Top exit and one 90 into the thimble, or better yet if possible, top exit and use two 45's to reach the thimble. If you decide on the straight up route, with 6-7 ft sticking out, only one brace should be required.

I think I would probably choose the less expensive route using 45's to connect the stove to the existing chimney and try it out for a year. If that works out, then stick with it. If not, you have an alternative plan for next season. Be sure to burn dry wood and it may be fine.

Thanks, Yes it is an exterior cinderblock chimney two flues one for woodstove and the other for Oil furnace , The Chimney Sweep that came over to go over install into existing chimney will be completely removing the clay flu and installing 6" liner and insulation around liner, the thimble will be insulated and mounted into chimney. I like the idea of using my existing chimney, sounds like a very good install, he has been doing this for 20 year, comes recomended etc.

The placement of the exit is off center of my hearth and 28" or so from hearth, so the pipe coming from the stove will be a "S" turn into thimble, straight out back of stove.

I had a stove here years ago and did not have any issues, but chimney fire big issue. I haven't had fire since, but with high price of fuel, this will help.

I just wanted to be sure I would get enough draft with this configuration, The Chimney Sweep said he would go straight thru roof, and I understand that is the best way.

Any suggestion's would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Don

Status
Not open for further replies.