Relocation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluedogz

Minister of Fire
Oct 9, 2011
NE Maryland
I'm sure this question has been asked here a lot of different ways

Work MAY require that I relocate from my current (rather pastoral) setting up to a metro area (Philly). Real estate pricing indicates that we MAY be required to look at duplexes (duplices?) running in the 80-100 year-old range.

The goal is to give as little to the oil or electric man as possible, and not freeze to death.

I am a pretty handy guy (no pun intended), but am not well-versed enough to walk into a potential home and say "yeah, the 30 could work here."

Obviously, if there's already a stove in the house that will give me somewhere to start. But let's say there isn't. What kind of checklist would you guys (and girls) walk in with when house-shopping?

I would put the stove issue on the lower scale of priorities. There are so many other more important things to check on first. If it has a fireplace or chimney just assume it is going to need a full liner. If none, then look at how the rooms line up between floors and look for interior chimney (chased) possibilities.

You might start getting smart about pellet stoves, too. Less work/expense involved in the installation. Lots of flexibility on placement in the structure. Fuel might be easier to come by in the metro area. Good luck! Rick

Work MAY require that I relocate from my current (rather pastoral) setting up to a metro area (Philly). Real estate pricing indicates that we MAY be required to look at duplexes (duplices?) running in the 80-100 year-old range.

Check for ability / availability of natural gas first.
https://www.pgworks.com/documents/Request Gas Service/marketingbrochure2007.pdf

This is for Philly proper but the metro area should have pretty good coverage by natural gas residential utilities. If you're really concerned, look for a place that already has it or has service nearby.

I'm sure this question has been asked here a lot of different ways

The goal is to give as little to the oil or electric man as possible, and not freeze to death.

I am a pretty handy guy (no pun intended), but am not well-versed enough to walk into a potential home and say "yeah, the 30 could work here."

Obviously, if there's already a stove in the house that will give me somewhere to start. But let's say there isn't. What kind of checklist would you guys (and girls) walk in with when house-shopping?

In this area, if you do find a home with a stove, odds are it will be a smoke dragon with no liner. If you are okay with a longer commute or can take the train in, you can live much further from Philly, than you may realize. Especially if you use the train.

Most of those Philly duplex's have basements. You could easily put the 30 in the basement or even on the 1st floor. I did a donor install in a duplex on the fist floor down in Philly.
I will suggest looking at the suburbs of Philly before settling for Philly. With today's housing market, you may find some decent deals. You can go Northeast Philly too along the border of Northeast & Bucks or Mongomery Counties. Bucks is expensive though, with high taxes. But Philly local/city wage tax was about 7% last time I worked there, as opposed to the 1% the suburban local tax was. Might try, Bensalem, Feasterville, Trevose, Huntingdon Valley area. They are just outside Philly and still suburbia.

Most of those Philly duplex's have basements. You could easily put the 30 in the basement or even on the 1st floor. I did a donor install in a duplex on the fist floor down in Philly.
I will suggest looking at the suburbs of Philly before settling for Philly. With today's housing market, you may find some decent deals. You can go Northeast Philly too along the border of Northeast & Bucks or Mongomery Counties. Bucks is expensive though, with high taxes. But Philly local/city wage tax was about 7% last time I worked there, as opposed to the 1% the suburban local tax was. Might try, Bensalem, Feasterville, Trevose, Huntingdon Valley area. They are just outside Philly and still suburbia.

You're warmer than you think.... friends had recommended Norristown- we're gonna do the weekend-drive-around and see what we see. As it stands, work is in Hopewell, NJ, but MAY relocate to Trevose or King of Prussia.

In short, looking for a new job. But you knew that.

You're warmer than you think.... friends had recommended Norristown- we're gonna do the weekend-drive-around and see what we see. As it stands, work is in Hopewell, NJ, but MAY relocate to Trevose or King of Prussia.

In short, looking for a new job. But you knew that.

I highly suggest against Norristown. A. The traffic will be so bad you will go postal trying to get to Jersey. B. No offense to your friends, but Norristown I know of, is a shythole. At least in or around town is.
Trevose is not bad, I grew up next to it in Feasterville. King of Prussia has many conveniences, mall, stores, dining, etc., but again the traffic really sucks bad, real bad. 202, the Turnpike etc, all hoorendous in the monring and after work. Not that great at off hours either, but a parking lot during rush hour and the hours before and after. At least Trevose and the cities that border or semi border near the Jersey border have access to the TP down that way, and only a couple exits from the bridge & Jersey TP, 130, 95 & 295.

I highly suggest against Norristown. A. The traffic will be so bad you will go postal trying to get to Jersey. B. No offense to your friends, but Norristown I know of, is a shythole. At least in or around town is.
Trevose is not bad, I grew up next to it in Feasterville. King of Prussia has many conveniences, mall, stores, dining, etc., but again the traffic really sucks bad, real bad. 202, the Turnpike etc, all hoorendous in the monring and after work. Not that great at off hours either, but a parking lot during rush hour and the hours before and after. At least Trevose and the cities that border or semi border near the Jersey border have access to the TP down that way, and only a couple exits from the bridge & Jersey TP, 130, 95 & 295.

Fortunately, we're not in a hurry to do anything at all. So we've got tons of weekends to do some drivin' around and see what we see.

Whoever suggested Norristown is not a friend! Depending on what you want, and how far you're willing to commute, there are much nicer options. If you NEED to be close to the city, check out Narberth, Conshi, etc. If you're willing to commute 30-40 minutes, and want a more rural setting, check out Newtown thru New Hope and the areas between Lansdale and Quakertown. It's a quick shot into Philly down I-95 or I-476, depending on time of day.

Whoever suggested Norristown is not a friend! Depending on what you want, and how far you're willing to commute, there are much nicer options. If you NEED to be close to the city, check out Narberth, Conshi, etc. If you're willing to commute 30-40 minutes, and want a more rural setting, check out Newtown thru New Hope and the areas between Lansdale and Quakertown. It's a quick shot into Philly down I-95 or I-476, depending on time of day.

Well, we don't actually NEED to be close to center-city Philly... I currently work in Hopewell, NJ and MAY change locations to Trevose or KOP.

Anyway, thanks to all those that have opinions about Norristown. But the question WAS:

And I hate to repeat, but being hooked up to gas already or being able to do so should enter into calculations. If you're dead set on wood, great, but if it's saving money, gas being there makes the rest of the calculations very different.

As a somewhat urban burner - consider that backyard and neighbor situation. Natural gas doesn't require wood stacking space.

Reactions: Armoured
If in an urban location with <5000 sq ft lots, a cleaner burning pellet or gas stove would be my preference to a wood stove.

Fossil and Begreen have a great suggestion. Looking into another fuel source. With Wood pellets that can be had around $200 a ton (I got 7 ton last year for $175 and 2 for $190). It takes the average household 3-4 ton a year. Fuel is always "seasoned". You dont want several years worth of wood on a city lot (some do it amd make it work and work well ;) ), but the fuel takes up minimal space and they produce more heat than one would think.

I added a couple extra stoves last Fall (Englander 30-NC and my Pellet furnace/ both in the basement), but I only had my Quadrafire to heat 2,180 sq ft upstairs in my Ranch (2,180 in the basement also, but that was the reasoning behind the woodstove. Even if a lot of heat couldn't get upstairs, we have a Bar downstairs with a Pool table, Foose Ball table, Dart board, etc).

But looking at other options may be the way to go. Natural gas is very cheap. If I had it, I would burn on evenings and weekends only. But having LP forces me to use Solid Fuel until I am unable to. Wood pellets get a bad wrap... My Quad heats this whole house on its lowest setting. Or until it gets around 10° outside. Then it has to be bumped up to Med heat setting. It runs on a t-stat (as most modern pellet stoves do) Works just like your furnace. Automatically starts when the stat calls for heat. Gets to temp, then shuts itself down, temp drops, stat calls for heat, stove restarts and heats house back up.... Gas stoves operate in the exact same manner.

Well, we don't actually NEED to be close to center-city Philly... I currently work in Hopewell, NJ and MAY change locations to Trevose or KOP.

Anyway, thanks to all those that have opinions about Norristown. But the question WAS:

I would look for a home that has an ideal location or setting inside the house for a wood stove. An open floorplan will work much, much better than your typical colonial style all boxy rooms closed off.
The floor plan can make or break how well the stove will heat the house, and to what extent it will heat. Roof, pitch, height, is there a fireplace to possibly use? If not stove, do you ahve a clear shot up to send the stack, maybe have to go through a closet and chase it off? Vision the house when you look, and picture where, and how you would put the stove and stack. Wood storage outside(area and size). Easy access to get wood to house? etc., etc. You know what would work best for you. Gut with your gut, then research when a place hits home.

Status
Not open for further replies.