Reminder: Check your spare tire pressure

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

midwestcoast

Minister of Fire
Oct 9, 2009
NW Indiana
Just a friendly reminder that those doughnuts want 60psi not 16! A friend is visiting this weekend and when she started down the street this afternoon she had a flat & pulled over a few houses away. I came out with an inflator & it wouldn't take any air so I started getting her spare out. Checked the pressure & it was at 16psi! Luckily it happened right here 'cause that sure wouldn't have helped much out on the road.
After taking the tire off I found the leak; a nail and another small hole, in the sidewall of course 8-/ and put the doughnut on before taking the car back to the house.
She is a nervous sort & was very worried about driving back on the doughnut with no spare so I swapped the doughnut to the rear, patched the holes in the sidewall & pumped it up for use as a spare. That was enough to convince her she didn't need to go buy a new set of tires right away (that's a lot of moolah to spend without any research).
After all that I decided to pull out the spares of both our cars and found 36 and 41psi.

why I always carry a pump in my car

Also keep in mind that some newer cars with TPMS have the TPMS on the spare and can set off the low pressure alert. Many people think they have a low tire, check all four and then think something is wrong with TPMS and then waste time and money at the dealer. so check all 5 tires on you vehicle.

I checked the spare recently on my truck (which was a pain to winch down) with the TPMS light on the dash, and discovered it only had around 15psi! That was time well spent, and I will now feel comfortable winching it down if I ever need it for "real".

Status
Not open for further replies.