Remote Control Thermostat: Luddite/ Cheapo Option needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pybyr

Minister of Fire
Jun 3, 2008
Adamant, VT 05640
Hello all-

Would really like to have a simple way to kick on my oil furnace from away from home, only occasionally, and only as needed, for situations when I am not able to tend the wood fire on a sufficiently timely basis, just so that the oil furnace can start to take the chill off before arriving home.

I truly don't want some uber sophisticated or uber spendy cutting edge whizbang solution/ home automation extravaganza.

In fact, as someone with too many projects competing for time and budget, I really don't want this to turn into a significant undertaking of time or $ or one more thing to learn the ropes of.

I am very at ease with electronics but I want something as complex to operate as a brick.

Some simple cheap way to toggle a relay by web access or phone DTMF would do the job splendidly.

Appreciate any suggestions

Thanks!

Google DTMF remote relay. You will get a lot of results, including how to instructions. The same terms on eBay will also bring up some products. I don't know if any of them will meet your exact requirements, but something workable should be out there.

Personally, I think you should shell out a little more and buy a (cheap) wifi tstat. I think there are some under $100.

That way you can also monitor your temps remotely, some might email you if things get too cold, etc.

Reactions: WhitePine
Status
Not open for further replies.