1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Remote Control Thermostat: Luddite/ Cheapo Option needed

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by pybyr, Nov 26, 2012.

1. pybyr

pybyr Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Adamant, VT 05640
    Hello all-

Would really like to have a simple way to kick on my oil furnace from away from home, only occasionally, and only as needed, for situations when I am not able to tend the wood fire on a sufficiently timely basis, just so that the oil furnace can start to take the chill off before arriving home.

I truly don't want some uber sophisticated or uber spendy cutting edge whizbang solution/ home automation extravaganza.

In fact, as someone with too many projects competing for time and budget, I really don't want this to turn into a significant undertaking of time or $ or one more thing to learn the ropes of.

I am very at ease with electronics but I want something as complex to operate as a brick.

Some simple cheap way to toggle a relay by web access or phone DTMF would do the job splendidly.

Appreciate any suggestions

Thanks!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. WhitePine

WhitePine Feeling the Heat

Google DTMF remote relay. You will get a lot of results, including how to instructions. The same terms on eBay will also bring up some products. I don't know if any of them will meet your exact requirements, but something workable should be out there.
  3. woodgeek

woodgeek Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE PA
    Personally, I think you should shell out a little more and buy a (cheap) wifi tstat. I think there are some under $100.

That way you can also monitor your temps remotely, some might email you if things get too cold, etc.
    WhitePine likes this.