Remove it? Replace it? Enclose it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TravisR

Aug 10, 2023
Oregon
Hi everyone,

Sorry for posting as a total noob.

We bought a house in western Oregon last year and it has a wood stove in our family room that we'll likely never use, but that also prevents us from using that room like we want to use it.

We would love to move our TV in there, but it only really makes sense to put a tv right where the stove pipe comes up and goes into the wall. I've been trying to figure out if I could just remove it, if I could:

1. Replace it with something lower profile that I could build into a fireplace with an enclosed chimney, so the TV could be above it. I don't even know what the options would be.
2. Remove it altogether. It seems like the hearth is just laid on top the wood floors, is that possible? If so, would it be possible to remove?
3. Build a mantle and chimney around it, replacing the pipe with something that could be enclosed and preferably closer to the wall.

Any suggestions?

IMG_1108.jpeg IMG_1109.jpeg

It looks like the stove is on a hearth pad. If so it may lift right up off the floor.

However, I would not change anything the first year. You may find the stove is A) needed for power outages, B) better at heating the house C) cost effective in very cold weather and D) the fire view is better than TV. Just be sure you have a good supply of fully seasoned firewood on hand. Poorly seasoned wood can equal disappointing performance and a lot of creosote buildup.

Making it look like a fireplace with a stove in it sounds easy, but it is not. The alcove requirements for setting up a stove like this are fairly stiff and limited. This is an expensive option. It might be easier to remove a window and close up the wall for the TV.

This helps a lot! I had a sense the wood went under the hearth, but I didn't know a hearth pad was a thing.

We've lived here a year this week. I actually gave it a year for exactly the reason you suggested, but never once did I think about firing it up. Every day it bugged me how it breaks up that otherwise useful room. It's just in too weird of a place. We used our natural gas fireplace in Connecticut fairly often, which was purely aesthetic, no real heat. In a different location, I'd love something like this but I think it's gotta go.

Thanks for the response!

Reactions: EbS-P
The wall thimble can be capped off and the hearth pad removed without a lot of work.

Reactions: EbS-P
Thanks for your help!

I've identified the stove and it seems to be a classic. As far as I can tell, it is a 1980s Brass Flame KS 1005 similar to the one described here. Mine doesn't have the legs, so it clearly isn't exactly the same model, I assume. It's already in great condition as far as I can tell.
1691777937435.jpeg

I'd love to see it go to someone who would appreciate it. It looks like there are classifieds on this site, is that right? I assume no one is shipping these things, that it is all local pickup, or am I wrong about that?

Can anyone help me to understand what I've got here and how to get it to someone who will appreciate it more than I can?

I think it is illegal to sell a pre-EPA stove in Oregon now though this is commonly done in local marketplaces. It may qualify for a credit on trade in for a modern stove, depending on the county.

Oh, I hadn't thought of that for secondary sales. What precisely does pre-EPA mean, just out of curiosity?

In my case, the label reads:
U.S. ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION AGENCY
Certified under 40 CFR 60.530(c). Not approved for sale after June 30, 1992.

Thanks for your help!

I've identified the stove and it seems to be a classic. As far as I can tell, it is a 1980s Brass Flame KS 1005 similar to the one described here. Mine doesn't have the legs, so it clearly isn't exactly the same model, I assume. It's already in great condition as far as I can tell.
View attachment 314397
I'd love to see it go to someone who would appreciate it. It looks like there are classifieds on this site, is that right? I assume no one is shipping these things, that it is all local pickup, or am I wrong about that?

Can anyone help me to understand what I've got here and how to get it to someone who will appreciate it more than I can?
I am interested in the stove if you still have it.

In Oregon:
-- It is illegal to sell a house with that stove in it
--It is illegal to sell that stove or give it away
--It is only legal to scrap it with a receipt -- it does not qualifly as an antique

That said, enforcement is an issue with a lot of laws.
--Oftentimes they get sold on local markets, but sometimes you can get in trouble with advertising them. I know of many cases where a non-compliant stove was left in a barn, shed, garage, or basement, and the 'new' home owner re-installed the old unit. Not sure how insurance companies would deal with this though. Legal or not these older units often get used in out buildings, shops, etc. A few stoves are currently exempt, like a true kitchen cooking stove, and a stove that is truly an antique may get by, but depends on local laws -- not likely allowed in metro areas. The farther one is from a metro area, the more lax compliance seems to be.
-- Some localaties may require phase 3 stoves upon sale. I haven't checked on any newer state laws about this. For sure, the stove has to be phase 2, or scrapped, that unenforceable law has been on the books for a long time here. Realtors are well aware of the law about this, and normally require the homeowner remove a non-compliant stove before they will even list the property.